1. Andreas Mykonios
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Wednesday, 15 December 2021 14:47 PM UTC

Hi.
We have an old project which was running until 2017. This project has a windows application developed in Powerbuilder (12.5 at the time, but we plan to migrate it to Powerbuilder 2019 R3). Also for this project we had a Appeon Server 2015 (build 0328.00 x64). A mobile application was running on ios & android devices (tablets). Data were saved to Ultraligh DB (v.12.0.1.4086).
We also used Mobilink (v.12.0.1.4086) to synchronize data to a consolidated database. For consolidated database we used ASE 16.
ASE & Mobilink are installed on Windows 2012 R2.

Now we have a request to put this project alive. My question regards the upgrade procedure of PB project to 2019 R3. Follows a list of things were we would like to have some feedback about potential issues.

• From Release Bulletin I see that Mobilink is supported from 9.0.2 up to 17. We plan to upgrade to latest release (17.0.x). I guess this would be ok?
  • We plan to upgrade from Appeon Server 2015 to PowerServer (I guess it should be 2020). Will this be an easy task? Are there any points we should take in mind? Ex. I know that for iOS we have to do more extra steps than for android. It would be useful to have a list with those steps. The application will be used by staff of the client for which we originally created the projet.
  • Is there any issue with andoid and iOS being x32 or x64? Is any limit concerning version of android or iOS that should be installed in the devices?

Thanks.
Andreas.

Armeen Mazda @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 15 December 2021 16:55 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Hi Andreas,

I don't think it is any problem to use latest SQL Anywhere 17.0.x version.  Such minor new version is typically bug fixes rather than major change how the DB works.  The Release Bulletin doesn't list this minor sub version because at time we release PowerServer 2020 it was not yet available.

But I would look into migrating off of UltraLite because PowerServer doesn't support 64-bit version of UltraLite, which will be problem for new iOS versions that are 64-bit only.  On the other hand, SQLite is supported on both 32-bit and 64-bit.  

Another thing to keep in mind is that you won't be able to deploy through the app store with UltraLite.  Yes you can run 32-bit app on 64-bit Android, but Google Play store won't allow 64-bit device to download 32-bit app.  So you have to deploy it privately to the device.

And last bad news is just remind you iOS/Android features of PowerServer discontinued in 2021 version and newer.  So really you should start prepare to migrate off soon.  Once Appeon stops providing updated iOS/Android compatibility support your apps will hit a wall.  

Best regards,
Armeen

Comment
There are no comments made yet.
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.