1. Esteban STD
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Friday, 22 April 2022 14:32 PM UTC

Greetings

We are currently migrating from PB2017 to PB2021 and we have a software in production with multiple clients that stood with us for several years, it is critical to keep the library coolmenu.dll until we get enough time to refactorize it to a RibbonBar Control.
Is there a chance to keep coolmenu.dll in PowerBuilder 2021?

Thank you in advance.

Attachments (1)
Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 22 April 2022 14:52 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Hi Esteban ;

It should work the same in PB2021 as in PB2017Rx. However based on your screen capture - it looks like you are trying to run your App as either a PowerClient or PowerServer based application EXE vs a standard Client/Server App. Is that the case - have you tried a normal C/S EXE?

Regards .... Chris

Comment
There are no comments made yet.
Stèphan Eizinga Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 22 April 2022 15:01 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

When you are using PowerClient/PowerServer, don't register coolmenu.dll to the register by place it in the application directory (external files).

Comment
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Friday, 22 April 2022 16:12 PM UTC
Hi Esteban ... Your App should work OK as a PC or PS deployed App as long as the "coolmenu" library(ies) are deployed as external files. The only tricky part for the CM DLL(s) is whether they need to be registered to the O/S in order to work. I have never used CM - so I do not know about its deployment requirements.
  1. Helpful 1
  1. Roland Smith
  2. Friday, 22 April 2022 18:19 PM UTC
A DLL only has to be registered if it is a COM object.
  1. Helpful
Esteban STD Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 22 April 2022 15:59 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 3

Yes, we did. Normal C/S EXE works fine since it's been what we were using since PB2017 and older versions. We are migrating right now to PB2021 in order to adapt our program to PowerServer.

Is there any suggestion or advice to take off from?

Thanks in advance.

Comment
Arnd Schmidt Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Saturday, 23 April 2022 12:50 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 4

Hi Esteban,

the only coolmenu.dll I know is 32-bit.

Have you already tried to set your code generation options to Platform 32-bit instead of 64-bit?

Arnd

Comment
John Fauss Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Tuesday, 26 April 2022 02:28 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 5

Looking at Aart Onkenhout's web page for coolmenu:

http://pbsite.milente.nl/coolmenu.html

The most recent release is 2.5 build 175, dated 10 July 2007. The Visual Studio 6.0 workspace and source code is available for download.

Partly for the challenge and partly for fun on a rainy weekend, I was able to import and upgrade the source into Visual Studio 2019 and with a few hours of work performing source code and directive tweaks (I'm really not a C++ person), I was able to get a clean compile and produce a new dll. I'd like to verify that it works, but I won't have the time to do that for a while. Eventually, I'd like to see what it would take to produce a 64-bit dll, now that I've got a clean 32-bit build.

I notice that Aart's is currently viewing this issue, so I'd like to ask if what I'm doing is OK with him. Aart, let me know it's OK or if you want me to stop and I will abide by your wishes.

Comment
  1. Mark Goldsmith
  2. Tuesday, 26 April 2022 14:40 PM UTC
Cool stuff John! I too saw that the source code was available and wondered whether or not one could simply recompile it into a 64 bit DLL. I'll be curious to see how you make out.
  1. Helpful
  1. John Fauss
  2. Tuesday, 26 April 2022 16:24 PM UTC
Thanks, Mark. I had cataract surgery earlier today, so I won't be able to do much for a day or two on this or anything else.
  1. Helpful
  1. Mark Goldsmith
  2. Tuesday, 26 April 2022 19:23 PM UTC
Best of luck for a speedy recovery John and, whatever you do, keep applying those drops as directed (but I'm sure your doc told you that lol).
  1. Helpful
Aart Onkenhout Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Tuesday, 26 April 2022 05:04 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 6

Go ahead John, don't have the time my self. I hope it helps Esteban.

Regards, Aart

Comment
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.