1. sachidhanantham ramalingam
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Friday, 3 June 2022 05:43 AM UTC

Hi,

Our source code is in power builder 2017 R3 Build 1880 and using Microsoft Visual Source Safe Version 6.0 (VSS) for source code repository, now we are migrating our power builder 2017 source code to power builder 2019 R3 Build 2728,

After migration, do we need to do any sperate “check in” for each migrated object in VSS?

Could you please provide your thoughts to proceed?

Thanks,
--Sachi

Roland Smith Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 3 June 2022 18:28 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

The only object that would have the source code changed by a migration to 2019-R3 would be the application object.

Just do a check-out of the application object in 2017 before migrating.

Why are you still using Visual Source Safe? Mainstream support ended 10 July 2012 with extended support ending on 11 July 2017. In 5 weeks it will be dead for 10 years.

Comment
  1. Miguel Leeuwe
  2. Friday, 3 June 2022 22:54 PM UTC
We also used VSS up until 2 years ago, when we switched over to WizSource :)

The advantage of VSS has always been it's simplicity, exclusive locks and no need for a Database.

regards.
  1. Helpful
  1. Miguel Leeuwe
  2. Friday, 3 June 2022 22:55 PM UTC
I suspected that only the application object would change, but wasn't sure. Thanks for clearing that up.
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
Miguel Leeuwe Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 3 June 2022 17:44 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

Hi,

Did you check everything out before doing the migration? If not, I don't think that there's much to check in, but I could be wrong?

If it was up to me, I'd make a copy of the pb2017 application and copy it to a pb2019 folder. Then add the 2019 folder as a new project in VSS.

regards,

MiguelL

Comment
  1. mike S
  2. Friday, 3 June 2022 18:01 PM UTC
I never change the projects, just check out, migrate, check in. That way you can see all your history and do comparisons.
  1. Helpful 1
  1. Miguel Leeuwe
  2. Friday, 3 June 2022 22:51 PM UTC
Hi Mike,

I used to do that, but then VSS 2005 started to behave funny sometimes (corruptions) and we found this a safer way. Also the amount of files we had was enormous. But yes ... you do have to switch back to see older history, so your way of doing things might be more convenient.

regards.
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.