1. Erick Bergsma
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Monday, 10 December 2018 20:54 PM UTC

Hello all...

We are embarking on a project to get all of our apps off of PB9 and up to PB2017.

Since the applications had a directory structure that was based the old business model, I'd like to change the directory structure to the current business model.

What I'm facing is trying to figure out what needs to be a new object, and what I can re-use.

For example...what was...

C:\\\Apps\\

c:\bms\dev\apps\MaintMgmt\trac

Is now ...

C:\AppDev\\\

c:\appdev\PlantMaintnEng\trac

What I've tried...

- create a new WorkSpace, and try to Add Target that was existing.  Issue is, that the common PBLs are no longer referenced correctly, and the migration fails.

- create new WorkSpace and create a new target with the same name as PB9. Issue is that I get a "already exists" message

- create a new WorkSpace and new target with new name.  Issue is that I have to create a new application object, and then how do I get all the source code from the old application to the new.

Just curious what others have done in this situation.

Thanks!!

Accepted Answer
Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Monday, 10 December 2018 21:24 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # Permalink

Hi Erick;

Please take a look at this material ...

https://www.appeon.com/support/documents/appeon_online_help/pb2017r3/migrating_pb_apps/

What I would like to suggest is ...

1. Run the PB2017Rx Migration Assistant utility first and have it check your PB 9 code.
  2. If "#1" is OK - copy your entire PB 9 App & sub-folders to a new PB2017Rx main folder.
  3. Migrate the PB 9 App "copy" to PB2017Rx "as is"
  4. After a successful migration, then start to refactor the folder structure.

HTH

Regards ... Chris

Comment
  1. Erick Bergsma
  2. Monday, 10 December 2018 21:36 PM UTC
Thanks Chris!

I printed that document and have postiit notes and marking all over it.

I have migrated all of our apps successfully using that old directory structure in a sandbox environment.

Now that our year-end code freeze is on, and our apps are "stable" we're going to do the real migration.

Just was hoping to find a better solution to migrate into the new folder structure rather than do it after the fact.

I'll try your method in my Sandbox.

Thanks Chris! Always appreciate your feedback!
  1. Helpful
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Monday, 10 December 2018 21:52 PM UTC
Hi Erick;

Excellent!

Good luck & post back here how you make out. Especially, if you have other questions along the way!

Regards ... Chris
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
Erick Bergsma Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 12 December 2018 15:59 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

So...here is what I did...

Keeping all the existing objects, I edited the Target in Notepad++ and changed the reference to the common PBLs.

For us, the reference was 2 levels back, so "..//..//SDE//"

I changed it to "..//SDE" since now the common PBLs are just one level back.

Worked perfectly.  everything migrated as expected.

I'm going to post another question about getting the common PBLs into SVN....  stay tuned!!  :-)

Comment
There are no comments made yet.
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.