1. Steven Turner
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Thursday, 2 July 2020 12:50 PM UTC

Good morning,

We are close to moving to PB2019 and are looking for the best scenario to do so. Specifically, as it relates to having to simultaneously support the PB2017 that's currently in production. I'm under the impression that as soon as I download and register PB2019 that I will lose access to PB2017.

We are looking for the best practice to be able to migrate to PB2019 (have it tested by our testing group), while continuing to support the PB2017 source code still in production.

Thanks in advance....

Steve

Accepted Answer
Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 2 July 2020 13:01 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # Permalink

Hi Steve;

Your Appeon License allows you to download, install & use all current supported versions & editions of any Appeon product. In the PB case, you can also install v2017Rx and v2019Rx on the same PC/VM. They can coexist.

HTH

Regards ... Chris

Comment
  1. Steven Turner
  2. Tuesday, 7 July 2020 11:34 AM UTC
Thanks for the heads up Marc. This is going to be a major pain in my......you know what
  1. Helpful
  1. mike S
  2. Tuesday, 7 July 2020 12:49 PM UTC
I have the same issues as Marc as far as supporting multiple versions as well as customizations.

This is our approach with PB releases:

Until we can have multiple development versions of the same major release on the same machine (ie both PB 2019R2 and 2019R3), our plan is to use the release in LTS which has been the R3 release. By waiting for the R3 release the thought is that most of the new features in R1 and R2 should work very well, and we have the possibility of the R3 features working too. No real difference in this approach from what we did with Sybase, and appeon has much faster release cycles. Before we always waited for the 1st maintenance release from sybase for a major version. We need a very stable version of PB runtime to send to customers so it isn't all that likely we will change from this approach even if/when we can install more than one major release at time. (well, unless the release cycles slow down a lot).

We use PB2017R3 for our current release.

We have PB 2019R2 for our web version release deployment, but all major development continues with PB2017R3. We do put out a test build of our client/server version with PB 2019R2, but that is only for internal testing. our build scripts recreate the pbls from scratch and pull down all the source etc., so this is all easy to do.

When PB 2019R3 comes out, we will do testing, and then at some point move all development to 19R3. All patches/etc for the prior 1027 version will be handled by copying over fixed code from the 19R3 to a 17R3 library and then working in PB2017. That often requires working in source directly rather than the IDE to comment/remove/fix stuff that prevents a regen from working, but that usually has more to do with object we changed as a difference in PB versions.
  1. Helpful
  1. Sivaprakash BKR
  2. Tuesday, 7 July 2020 12:53 PM UTC
Yes Marc, almost the same issue we face here. We have legacy applications that work in PB 6.5, PB 10.5, PB 11.5, and now PB 2017. Luckily we haven't released any application developed in PB 2017 so far. So we migrated those projects to PB 2017 R3.

Almost all applications are customized to individual tastes and requirements of those customers. Even though a couple of customers wants their application to be ported to Cloud [ developed in PB 2017], we haven't' started working on it, as we could not work on two major versions simultaneously so easily. Waited for PB 2019 R2 release, postponed it till the release of PB 2019 R3. With the announcement from Appeon CEO that it will be available only in PB 2021 [without mentioning the release], even though the Road map lists it for PB 2019 R3 release, makes things worst in my end.

I can't avoid the this thinking, Are they forcing us to switch to other development tools, for cloud development, anyway?
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.

There are replies in this question but you are not allowed to view the replies from this question.