1. Michael Connell
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Thursday, 3 February 2022 14:29 PM UTC

Hi,

One of our customers is having problems when executing a PB 2021 runtime.

They are getting a "Load library failed" error:

The application was compiled in PB 2021 as 32-bit Pcode. The executable and associated PBDs, as well as the DLLs (including pbvm.dll) are all in a single folder: 

C:\Program Files\Cabsys\Bin

Their version of pbvm.dll was copied from C:\Program Files (x86)\Appeon\Common\PowerBuilder\Runtime 21.0.0.1288 which I understand to be the 32 bit version of this DLL for PB 2021.

Why then is this failing?

Regards,

Michael Connell.

Michael Connell Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Tuesday, 8 February 2022 07:44 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Just in case anyone else experiences this problem it seems that this error is also produced if one (or more) of the four DLLs that pbvm.dll is dependent upon (pbshr.dll, libjcc.dll, libsybunic.dll or pbuis.dll) is missing from the runtime folder.

Michael Connell.

Comment
  1. Armeen Mazda @Appeon
  2. Tuesday, 8 February 2022 15:25 PM UTC
Thanks for sharing the solution!
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 3 February 2022 14:58 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

Hi Michael;

1. Make sure that you deploy the new <AppName>.XML file with your PB App EXE.
  2. Make sure that the XML file is pointing to where the PB runtime is actually installed.

HTH

Regards .... Chris

Comment
  1. Michael Connell
  2. Friday, 4 February 2022 08:20 AM UTC
Chris,

Thanks for your response. The XML file was my first thought too, but it's in place and has been updated.

Regards... Michael.

1. Helpful
Armeen Mazda @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 3 February 2022 14:52 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 3

I assume the app is deployed to multiple users and only one particular machine has this problem?  If yes, this points to environment/user-specific problem.  For example, perhaps the file got corrupted or user doesn't have read privileges for that file.

Comment
  1. Michael Connell
  2. Friday, 4 February 2022 08:27 AM UTC
Armeen,

Thanks for your response. The application is actually undergoing test by a single user and he has been reporting bugs which I have been fixing.

I recently sent them a new executable as well as associated PBDs and a number of PB 2021 32-bit DLLs, but if they have an older version of a DLL which I have missed, would that cause this error?.

Aren't there a number of DLLs that are dependent upon pbvm? Is it possible one of these older DLLS is causing the problem and the error message is simply misleading?

Regards...Michael.
  1. Helpful
  1. Michael Connell
  2. Friday, 4 February 2022 10:40 AM UTC
Armeen,

It seems that the problem was as I suspected - older versions of one or more DLLs.

I sent the user a complete set of PB 2021 32-bit DLLs and asked him to replace all the DLLs in the folder where the runtime is intalled.

Problem solved!

Thank you for pointing me in the right direstion.

Regards...Michael
  1. Helpful 1
  1. Armeen Mazda @Appeon
  2. Friday, 4 February 2022 14:53 PM UTC
You're very welcome! Glad to hear it is solved, and thanks for confirming the solution!
  1. Helpful
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.