1. Kevin Ridley
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Wednesday, 25 July 2018 20:13 PM UTC

I'm looking for documentation on syntax changes in the datawindow from 12.5 - 2017R2.  I have some datawindows created in 2017 that I need to retro-fit into 12.5.  We are all set with 2017 licenses, but management decided to put off the upgrade till after the current enhancement release I'm working on because our testing team is estimating too much time for a full regression test.  Soooo, I need to downgrade about 10 dw's.  I tried just simply editing the source and change the release, but there was more to it.  Most have unions, if that's an issue.

Thanks,

Kevin

Accepted Answer
mike S Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 26 July 2018 13:00 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # Permalink

I have moved at least one datawindow back to 12.51 from 2017

I am pretty sure the only thing you need to remove is the native pdf syntax.   Nothing else new is added to the datawindow (unless  you use it).  change the version too.

i would just delete this whole line (its at the bottom), but you can just delete all the nativepdf parts.  

export.pdf(method=0 distill.custompostscript="0" xslfop.print="0" nativepdf.customsize=0 nativepdf.customorientation=0 nativepdf.pdfstandard=0 nativepdf.useprintspec=no )

Comment
  1. Kevin Ridley
  2. Thursday, 26 July 2018 15:31 PM UTC
Sounds worth a shot. I'll give it a try, thanks Mike.
  1. Helpful
  1. Kevin Ridley
  2. Friday, 27 July 2018 18:14 PM UTC
Mike,

When I deleted that line and tried to import, PB 12.5 blew up. I was able to replace it with an exportpdf syntax from a 12.5 version and it worked perfect, so thanks!

replaced (PB2017) : export.pdf(method=0 distill.custompostscript="0" xslfop.print="0" nativepdf.customsize=0 nativepdf.customorientation=0 nativepdf.pdfstandard=0 nativepdf.useprintspec=no )

with

(PB12.5) : export.pdf(method=0 distill.custompostscript="0" xslfop.print="0" )

So it looks like all of the nativepdf attributes need to be removed. Once I did that and changed the release to 12.5 all of my dws imported fine. One additional note, on tv dw's there's more at the bottom after all the export stuff. I accidentally deleted it on one of my tv dws and had to add it back in from a backup version. Thanks again Mike for the suggestion.
  1. Helpful
  1. mike S
  2. Friday, 27 July 2018 18:47 PM UTC
also delete the export.xhtml() to prevent it from blowing up. or just do what you did. glad it worked out for you.

1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
Kevin Ridley Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 26 July 2018 12:24 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Ugh!  I was hoping to not have to duplicate them, oh well.

Comment
Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 25 July 2018 20:42 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

Hi Kevin;

There are a "TON" of DW syntax changes between PB 12.5 => 12.6 => 2017. FWIW, I would just recreate the DWO's in PB 12.5 using the SQL from their PB2017 counter-parts. A lot easier to do it that way IMHO.

HTH

Regards ... Chris

Comment
  1. Kevin Ridley
  2. Thursday, 26 July 2018 12:29 PM UTC
Ugh! Was hoping to not have to do that based on all the formatting etc, but thanks.
  1. Helpful
Miguel Leeuwe Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 25 July 2018 20:18 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 3

Also, when trying to save the dw when editing the source code in 12.5, the error that you get should indicate the line and column position (x pos of the wrong text/attribute). That might indicate you also what's not supported in 12.5.

Comment
Miguel Leeuwe Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 25 July 2018 20:16 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 4

What I would do is create a simple dw in 12.5 and exactly the same in 2017.

Then compare the 2 source codes with a comparison tool like "KDiff3", "Windiff", "winMerge", "Meld" or "Araxis Merge" or "Ultra Edit".

That way it should be easier to find out the differences and which attributes you have to delete.

I don't think that the UNIONs will be an issue, but might be wrong.

Comment
  1. Kevin Ridley
  2. Thursday, 26 July 2018 12:28 PM UTC
Thanks for the reply. I had been considering doing that, but based on Chris's feedback on the number of differences, I guess I'll just bite the bullet and re-create them.
  1. Helpful
  1. Miguel Leeuwe
  2. Thursday, 26 July 2018 12:35 PM UTC
YW, I guess it all depends on how much work it is to re-create them from scratch.

I have done this for 12.6 to 11.5 and it was not impossible, but no idea how much differences you'd find doing it from pb2017,

Good luck :)
  1. Helpful
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.