1. Mark Jones
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Wednesday, 17 February 2021 16:07 PM UTC

I do not know about anyone else but I am finding the versioning for PB 2019 R1, R2, R3 slightly annoying.   

We need to support and maintain various versions of our commercial application - developed and tested using different PB versions.   I consider PB 2019 R2 and PB 2019 R3 to be different enough that we would need to retest for each version however PB considers them to be basically the same release, meaning that you cannot install PB 2019 R2 and PB 2019 R3 on the same computer.   This forces me to install my PB 2019 R3 on a virtual machine which is a slower and less efficient for me.  Just needed to vent!

Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 17 February 2021 16:42 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Hi Roland;

You are correct. I used to do this simple trick all the way back to the PowerSoft PB 2/3 days. However, the R3 install does indeed change the R2 install landscape and thus, you can no longer do this release swap trick. So its either a VM or another PC for R3 I am afraid for now regarding R2 & R3 co-exiting.

Regards ... Chris

Comment
There are no comments made yet.
Roland Smith Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 17 February 2021 16:26 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

In the past I made a copy of the runtime folder and put the IDE exe in it. Then I installed the update. To run the prior version I just made a shortcut to the exe in the copied runtime folder. It worked great.

I tried the same with PB 2019 GA & R2. The issue I had is differences in the files that track your license. I think that the installer removes the files from the previous edition. I'm not 100% sure that is what happened, I didn't look into it further.

Comment
  1. Mark Jones
  2. Wednesday, 17 February 2021 16:33 PM UTC
Thanks for that - it is a good trick. I have already created my PB 2019 R3 VM and installed the software so the work is done!
  1. Helpful
  1. Rick Minucci
  2. Sunday, 18 July 2021 16:42 PM UTC
Hi Mark - In the VM installation did you have to install the complete SQL Server on the machine as well? I am a developer that has everything on my development system and I suspect in order for me to run both R2 and R3 versions I will need everything duplicated in my VM that I create for the R3 installation... Since I have not dealt with VM's (yet) I need to know if my assumption is correct...
  1. Helpful
  1. Miguel Leeuwe
  2. Monday, 19 July 2021 01:52 AM UTC
Hi Rich, you'd only need to have the SQL Server Client on your VM. You can connect to any database on a network or other local PC when you from a VM.
  1. Helpful
Mark Jones Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 17 February 2021 16:19 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 3

Armeen, thanks for the quick reply.  I did see that change - however doesn't the IDE change require a one way upgrade of PBLs.  If that is the case I would not say that PB 2019 R2 and PB 2019 R3 are the same version since PB 2019 R3 PBLs are not backwardly compatible in terms of PBLs.    Previously versions like 12 and 12.1 would be able to use each other's PBLs.   

Mark

Comment
  1. Armeen Mazda @Appeon
  2. Wednesday, 17 February 2021 16:24 PM UTC
No, what you said is incorrect about PB 2019 R3. That is how older versions worked. As I said, we have re-engineered this so that a single IDE can truly target multiple runtime versions.
  1. Helpful
Armeen Mazda @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 17 February 2021 16:14 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 4

Hi Mark,

PB has always been like this.  Can you install PB 12 and 12.1 on the same machine?  A revision "R" is a minor release not a major release.

With that said, starting from PB 2019 R3 Appeon has re-engineered the PB IDE to break this limitation that we inherited from our predecessors.  Going forward, a single PB IDE can target multiple different runtime versions (no matter it is a revision or even as small as a maintenance release that just has bug fixes).

Please read more about this enhancement to the PB IDE in the product documentation, and hope you gain some comfort that long-term you won't have this headache anymore: https://docs.appeon.com/pb2019r3/whats_new/ch01s01s03.html

Best regards,
Armeen

Comment
  1. Mark Jones
  2. Wednesday, 17 February 2021 16:35 PM UTC
Armeen, I am delighted abotu the this change. It really simplifies lives for companies like ours that need to maintain versions of their applications on older versions of PB! Thanks!

1. Helpful
  1. Armeen Mazda @Appeon
  2. Wednesday, 17 February 2021 16:43 PM UTC
Yes, we know this causes big maintenance headache. Glad to hear you are happy how we are moving PB forward!
  1. Helpful
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.