1. Minogue Susan
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Thursday, 11 July 2024 12:24 PM UTC

Hi Team,

Thank you in advance for your help on this. We have migrated PowerBuilder Windows application from PB 2017 to PB 2022 R3. We made this migration to enable application to use tls 1.2. We are connecting windows application to Microsoft SQL Server 2014 SP3. Post migration we got SSL security error. Please advise. 

In old version we use below, 

SQLCA.DBMS ="ODBC"

SQLCA.DBPARM="ConnectString='FILEDSN="+gs_dsn+";IntegratedSecurity=True;database="+gs_db+";PROVIDER=MSDASQL',StripParmNames='YES',CallEscape='No',TrimSpaces='Yes',PBNewSPInvocation='Yes'"

After checking some Appeon community answers we updated to connection string as below for tls 1.2 upgrade.

SQLCA.DBMS ="MSOLEDBSQL"

SQLCA.DBPARM ="ConnectString='FILEDSN="+gs_dsn+";Integrated Security=True;database="+gs_db+";PROVIDER=MSOLEDBSQL',StripParmNames='YES',CallEscape='No',TrimSpaces='Yes',PBNewSPInvocation='Yes'"

But it throws error DB code 18456. below is error message.  

I'm using OLEDB driver and same installed on machine. Also, we are able to connect SQL Server using windows auth & SQL auth using SSMS and c#.net apps so SQL server has full permission to login using the testing id. 

Please let me know if you need any additional details needed to help us. 

Thanks again. 

Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Monday, 15 July 2024 13:51 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Hi Susan;

This could be a SS configuration issue ...

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/sql/database-engine/connect/tls-1-2-support-microsoft-sql-server

Regards ... Chris 

Comment
  1. Minogue Susan
  2. Monday, 15 July 2024 17:11 PM UTC
Hi Chris,

Thank you for above. we have checked the config and everything as expected. Could you please check my connection string above and advise. Also, we were able to connect database profile in Appeon PowerBuilder 2022.
  1. Helpful
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Tuesday, 16 July 2024 19:42 PM UTC
Hi Susan;

The TLS 1.n protocol setting is handled at the network layer and thus, is not a related DBParm setting.

If I recall though TLS 1.3 is supported by the W11 O/S. I think that you can still use it in W10 with some special configuration (registry maybe)?

I would talk to your O/S and/or Network Support Teams for more details on the client side TLS1.3 support.

Regards .. Chris
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
John Fauss Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Monday, 15 July 2024 13:38 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

I think you may have confused this Question & Answer (in other words, an Advice) forum with what is commonly referred to as a Product Support Portal. The numerous Q&A volunteers who freely give their spare time to help others may not know what advice to suggest to you or they may not have yet had an opportunity to respond. There are many good people here who try to help all of our fellow Community members, but we are not obligated to do so.

If you require a response from Appeon personnel, I suggest you open a free support ticket:

https://www.appeon.com/standardsupport/newbug

For critical issues that require a more timely response, you always have the option to purchase a premium support ticket:

https://www.appeon.com/premium-support.html

Best regards, John

Comment
Minogue Susan Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Monday, 15 July 2024 12:50 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 3

Kindly advise on this request. It holds one of my upgrades for TLS version. Thanks. 

Comment
  1. John Fauss
  2. Wednesday, 17 July 2024 19:35 PM UTC
According to the information I've seen, SQL Server 2014 did not include support for TLS 1.2 in its initial release, but Microsoft supported it later (in 2016). Same for ODBC:

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/sql-server-blog/tls-1-2-support-for-sql-server-2008-2008-r2-2012-and-2014/ba-p/384613

It may be an obvious question, but have ODBC and SQL Server 2014 been upgraded to support TLS 1.2 at your installation?
  1. Helpful
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.