1. Ron Calder
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Tuesday, 19 September 2017 15:54 PM UTC

I need help on how to consume a restful web service using Power Builder 2017.  I need to post a message to Coupa cloud-based spend management system to create a requisition using post.

Thank you, Ron

Accepted Answer
Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Tuesday, 19 September 2017 17:01 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # Permalink

Hi Ron;

PB 2017 R1 does not currently support RESTFul Web Services. You would have to use another alternative for this by: 1) Either using a 3rd party DLL, OLE Approach or create a .Net Assembly in VS (or PB.Net) that performs RESTFul interactions and then call that from your PB App.

Hint:  For those of you who are coming to the Elevate Conference next week ... I will be showing you something very "kool" around RESTFul web services in PB.  wink

Regards ... Chris

Comment
  1. Mike Trainor
  2. Monday, 2 October 2017 16:02 PM UTC
Hi Chris,

Sorry I missed the conference.

On a similar subject, Oauth2, I heard that someone gave a presentation on how to work with CallBack URL's.  So I'm wondering if they have successfully made Oauth2 requests with PowerBuilder. Or has anyone else on the Appeon team worked with it. We succeeded in getting Oauth1 working but it took some time. Seems many companies are now using OAuth2.

Regards, Mike

1. Helpful
  1. paulo gomes
  2. Thursday, 19 October 2017 20:58 PM UTC
Hi Chris,

We already migrated a Web app from EAServer to IIS, by generating SOAP web services from the NVO(s) and deploying them into IIS. It is working fine however, the performance is poor and one reason for that is because generating/parsing XML is costly, specially with large data. We did the refactoring using PB 12.6 Classic.

The solution to generate the RESTFUL web services in PB 12.6 .NET is not an option because the web app shares PBL(s) with a very large Client Server app (more than 6 million lines of code split between 105 PBL). These PBL are maintained with PB 12.6 Classic, not PB 12.6 .NET.

We already acquired a bunch of Power Builder 2017 licenses and we have December 2017 as due date to go live, or at least, to QA before going to Production, with a RESTFUL version of the web services.

Since Power Builder 2017 R2 is going to be released in December 2017, we have to find our way to start refactoring the web services to RESTFUL as soon as possible. 

I missed the Conference, so what do you suggest? Are the Conference materials available online?

Thank you for your time.

PAULO GOMES

Senior System Analyst / Programmer, Interval International - Since October 2007

Resort Solution Development IT Team

6262 Sunset Drive • Miami, Florida 33143

Phones: 305.666.1861, ext. 7393 • direct 305.925.7393   Fax:305.668.3409

1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
Armeen Mazda @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Saturday, 23 September 2017 21:43 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Hi Ron, this is coming in PowerBuilder 2017 R2 to be released December 2017.  Hope you can hang tight just a bit longer, or if not you can try the workarounds Chris suggested.  We have other customers that have done these workarounds and while it's not a seamless development experience from the app users perspective it gets the job done.

Comment
There are no comments made yet.
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.