1. Connie Dove
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Friday, 1 April 2022 21:42 PM UTC

We are in the process of upgrading applications from Powerbuilder 10 and 12.5 to Powerbuilder 2019R3.  

Currently all of our powerbuilder applications reside in the same folder on a server and staff have a shortcut pointing to that location.  This folder contains the PB runtime files needed and the application exe and pbd's.  

I am looking at the ability to upgrade one application at a time and move it out for staff to start using.  I was hoping to be able to put the 2019 runtime files in the same folder and then just delete the old exe and pbds and replace them with the new ones.

However, I have found some files that are the same names between the old runtimes and the new runtimes.  I am trying to find out if these are backwards compatible and will the new ones work with the old applications.

libjcc.dll

libjtml.dll

libjutils.dll

nlwnsck.dll

Sybase.Powerbuilder.DataWindow.Excel12.dll

msvcp100.dll

msvcr100.dll

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

Andreas Mykonios Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Saturday, 2 April 2022 07:33 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Hi Connie.

I would suggest to evaluate powerclient deployment as an alternative. It's a great future. It is available in pb 2019 r3.

Powerclient installs the application in each user profile and it handles updates automatically. As a result it works in a different way from the way you currently deploy your applications. But it simplifies a lot of things.

Andreas.

Comment
There are no comments made yet.
Connie Dove Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 1 April 2022 22:32 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

Thank you Chris.  That is what I was afraid of.  Looks like we will need to either set up a new location for the upgraded applications, or wait to move them to the production location all at the same time.  

Comment
Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 1 April 2022 22:27 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 3

Hi Connie;

Basically, NO. Not only these but from PB2019R3 onwards to 2021, 2022, etc - all the PB runtime DLLs do not have version numbers in the name. Thus, all PB runtime files on these releases would crash your PB App EXE's if the Runtime files were mixed.

Regards ... Chris

Comment
  1. Christopher Craft
  2. Thursday, 7 April 2022 14:29 PM UTC
If only talking about the Runtimes you can create a subdirectory (ie. Runtime 2728) and then have each converted EXE have its own XML file that points to the desired runtime directory right? Then when you update to 2021 you change the XML file to point to the new runtime directory. Wouldn't that keep things separate?
  1. Helpful
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.