1. Larry Molter
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Wednesday, 23 October 2019 11:24 AM UTC

I just installed PB2019 on a Windows 2016 server (64-bit) and migrated our application. No errors. Did the same last week on a Win10 desktop. Migrated the application there as well. 

I noticed that I cannot regen any datawindow objects in the 2016 server installation, but the Win 10 installation is fine. The error is fairly useless in that it says 'Regeneration of library entry failed. Continue?'. Failed how/why? I suspect it has something to do with the database perhaps? In that regard, I am connected to Oracle and can select data with the database painter, so I don't think it's a profile issue. But it sure smells like something database-related.

Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 24 October 2019 19:36 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Hi Larry;

You can run the IDE on MS-Windows "Server" but Appeon does not warrant or support it (neither did Sybase). So depending on the features that you're using, it may or may not work. Basically ... "use at own risk".

Glad that you found the "permissions" issue to fix your build dilemma though!

Regards ... Chris

Comment
  1. Roland Smith
  2. Thursday, 24 October 2019 20:05 PM UTC
If Appeon is following how Sybase handled it, if he runs into a problem on the server and can reproduce it on the desktop, it would be eligible for support.
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
Larry Molter Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 24 October 2019 14:12 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

Hi, Chris -

Well ... isn't that lovely. We do our builds from a server (and have since 2010, albeit a Windows 2008 server and PB11), and have no trouble. And I have to use the IDE to get the latest versions from source control. So ... after installing PB2019 on a Win 2016 server, I *expected* similar good results. 

Update just in --- It was a permissions issue after all. Even though the 'build-master' (me) had full admin rights on the server, I had to run PB and PowerGen as Administrator. Doing so allowed full regens and builds. 

So, even though PB2019 is not officially certified, we've been flying under the radar for quite a while surprised

Comment
  1. Armeen Mazda @Appeon
  2. Thursday, 24 October 2019 16:20 PM UTC
Thanks for the update, and glad to hear the good news! As Chris mentioned Windows Server 2016 is not an officially supported OS for doing development/compilation, but just to clarify that doesn't necessarily mean it won't work as you have demonstrated. :-)
  1. Helpful
Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 23 October 2019 18:42 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 3

Hi Larry;

Sorry, but the PB IDE is not certified for installation on any MS-Window "Server" editions ...

https://docs.appeon.com/appeon_online_help/pb2019/installation_guide_for_pb/ch01s02.html

Regards ...Chris

Comment
Larry Molter Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 23 October 2019 14:15 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 4

Yes, the folder is RO and the user is not a local admin on the server. The whole permissions thing became more aware after I posted my initial message because when I tried to migrate the target again (in the hope that the initial migration somehow didn't work right), I received a 'One or more objects were unable to be opened for write' (or something akin to that). So, in this regard, I have entered a help-desk ticket with our network folks to correct the issue. 

Looking back at it, on the PC where I don't have problems ... I am the local admin. On the new build server (where we're going to build the app), the login there does not have local admin rights. I think ...

Comment
Roland Smith Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 23 October 2019 13:01 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 5

Is the file or folder read-only? Does the folder require Administrator access?

Comment
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.