1. Joon Choi
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Thursday, 5 August 2021 22:15 PM UTC

We converted our app to 2019 and on newer windows servers (2012 R2) it runs fine..   However when running on server 2008 R2 the user interface is quite different.  You have any ideas why?  Both are using the same executable.

This is the good working version running on a Windows 2012 server…  Looks good

This is the 2008 server version with obvious differences.

This is the server information

Thanks,

Buck

John Fauss Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 6 August 2021 01:46 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Hi, Buck -

The reason you see differences in the appearance of your application running on different operation systems (even very old ones) is because...

The app is running on different operating systems.

I don't believe Microsoft has ever guaranteed rendering fidelity (identical look and feel) between OS versions. Your app will likely look a little different again on Windows Server 2016 and on Windows Server 2019. Just wait until the Windows 11 user interface is unleashed... I mean, released!

Except for the visual content of DataWindows, PB uses Windows controls for the various graphical user interface elements (windows, buttons, menus, etc.), so visual differences you see between OS versions are the result of changes Microsoft has made internally within the OS and not because of changes made by Appeon.

Best regards, John

Comment
There are no comments made yet.
Miguel Leeuwe Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 5 August 2021 23:04 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

It looks "good" on server 2012, because all 3d properties are totally being ignored and you get a "flat" look.
You'll have to same difference if you compile and run on Win7 vs. Win10.

Comment
  1. Miguel Leeuwe
  2. Thursday, 5 August 2021 23:23 PM UTC
(in my opinion, it looks "good" on 2008, since it respects your settings for borders 3d-lowered. No too sure about the difference in backgroundcolor though). :)

I you don't like the 3d-lowered borders on 2008, don't set them on you dw columns.
  1. Helpful
Armeen Mazda @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 5 August 2021 22:30 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 3

Hi Buck, Per the documentation, the minimum officially supported version is Windows Server 2012.  What this means is that we haven't tested Windows Server 2008 so I can't say if there are issues, but I strongly encourage not to use such unsupported version because it puts you at risk.

Comment
  1. Joon Choi
  2. Thursday, 5 August 2021 22:34 PM UTC
Thanks so much Armeen will do... PB2019 is best!!!
  1. Helpful
  1. Armeen Mazda @Appeon
  2. Thursday, 5 August 2021 22:43 PM UTC
Glad you like it!
  1. Helpful
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.