1. sabal mehra
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Wednesday, 28 November 2018 08:50 AM UTC

Hi team,

I have migrated my PowerBuilder Application from PB11.5 Build 4788 to PB 2017 R3 Build 1858 which got completed successfully but while running the application below termination issue occurring.

Please have a look and advice accordingly for the fix.

Issue 1:- OpenSheetWithParm() and OpenSheet()

When application runs, it gets terminated while executing above PB inbuilt function. If the same above function is executed in debug mode the application runs fine.

Unable to catch more details on this issue as application runs fine on debug mode but not on actual execution.

Issue 2:- Executing store procedure

Under the application below code exist to execute the store procedure

DECLARE sp_check PROCEDURE FOR sp_check_acct_integrity

as_tranx_id = :as_tranx_id using itr;

EXECUTE sp_check;

While debugging I get to know above code stop responding “EXECUTE sp_check;” and in result it terminates the application without any error message.

When looked at windows event log, the same information is getting logged for both the above errors.

Faulting application name: PB170.EXE, version: 17.2.0.1858, time stamp: 0x5b6318f9

Faulting module name: PBVM170.dll, version: 17.2.0.1858, time stamp: 0x5b738c9c

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x001fe236

Faulting process id: 0x25c0

Faulting application start time: 0x01d486ebad8699bb

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Appeon\PowerBuilder 17.0\PB170.EXE

Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Appeon\Shared\PowerBuilder\PBVM170.dll

Report Id: a32005f9-f2e0-11e8-ac46-0050569d35c4

Thanks-

Sabal Mehra

Kevin Ridley Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 28 November 2018 12:43 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Are you running this from the IDE or deployed EXE?  Sounds like it could be a deployment issue.  I'd suggest opening a case with Appeon Support.  You might also try doing a full rebuild and optimizing all PBLs and try again.

Comment
There are no comments made yet.
sabal mehra Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 28 November 2018 13:11 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

hi kevin

i am running the application via IDE and also I tried even after doing full build behaviour is same

Thanks

sabal mehra

Comment
Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 28 November 2018 15:33 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 3

Hi Sabal;

There were some changes in the PB 12.x versions to the order that some events fire during a Window and a control instantiation. Depending on what you are doing in your PowerScript code and/or what your code is expecting to have completed before it runs could be the issue.

The fact that you can run OK using the debugger supports my theory in part. At least, this is when I get suspicious wink.  I have actually encountered this scenario many times before when moving from PB version X to Y. The debugger actually does two things to your App differently ... a) it slows down its execution between various event and function calls and b) depending on how you set your break points - can allow "posted" events and functions to now complete ahead of your break point.

What I would look for in the Window(s) that are not opening and crashing your App are:

1. Code in the "Open" event of your Window that replies on other events being completed first. That also includes its ancestor(s). Remedy: Create a "PostOpen" user event and move your code there. Then post the UE from your Window's open event.
  2. Code in the "Constructor" event of your Window's "Control"  that replies on other events being completed first. That also includes its ancestor(s). Remedy: Create a "PostConstructor" user event and move your code there. Then post the UE from your Control's Constructor event.
  3. Menus can also have a crashing toll on your Window's instantiation. Try replacing the crashing window's menu with a temporary simple menu and see if the window appears OK.
  4. Make sure that the Window type being opened as a sheet is still a "Main" type.
  5. Make sure that there are no controls on the surface of your App's MDI window.
  6. Make sure that there is no PowerScript code trying to modify MDI_1
  7. Review at any code on high risk events like "Other", Get/Loose Focus", "Activate/Deactivate" and/or "User Events mapped to O/S messages".

Tip:  Comment out the blocks of code in the Open and Constructor events. If that allows the Window to open - then slowly un-comment the code back one event / control at a time until the window instantiation fails. Now focus on that event's code-line.

HTH

Regards ... Chris

Comment
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.