1. Olan Knight
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Tuesday, 9 February 2021 16:17 PM UTC

Windows 10, 64-bit platform
Oracle 12C, PostGresSQL35W
PB2019R2

Is there ANY way that R2 and R3 can coexist on the same VM/PC?

I support multiple versions of our very large app, and as such am currently using PBv12.1 and PB2019R2.

When I migrate to R3 I expect to have the same requirement for production support.

Thanks,

Olan

Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Tuesday, 9 February 2021 19:17 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Hi Olan;

For the IDE - R2 & R3 cannot co-exist. I used to have a little Chris trick to make any two minor versions work on the same PC. I've been using that trick since PB 3 and throughout the Appeon PB series but it does not work with R2 & R3 (starting with R3's decoupled runtime). So the solution that I use is  ow is to use two PC's - one for <=  R2  - any combination of PB releases in the Sybase or Appeon 2017/2019 series. The other way I also solved this was to install a W10 VM on the same PC as R2 and only install R3 on the VM (no R2).

The deployed PB App EXE's run time is not a problem. I typically use one of these two approaches...

1) Place the PBVM run-time DLLs in the same folder as the EXE     // OR

2) Create a BAT file to launch the PB App EXE but first amend the "System Path" to point to the correct PBVM version. Since the PB App is started from a BAT File, the System Path is unique (local) to that BAT file. Thus, each PB App EXE can now point to its own PBVM version (location) as required.

Food for thought.  HTH

Regards ... Chris

Comment
  1. Olan Knight
  2. Tuesday, 9 February 2021 22:16 PM UTC
Thank you for the detailed and useful response, Chris!

We have found the best approach is to simply put all of the required files into a single folder. That way we just don;t care about the PATH variable, and the chances of handling errors are almost zero.
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
Miguel Leeuwe Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Tuesday, 9 February 2021 17:55 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

Hi Olan,

I don't know where, but I think I read you cannot have both 2019 R2 and R3 on the same machine.

Correct me if I'm wrong anyone.

regards.

Comment
  1. Armeen Mazda @Appeon
  2. Tuesday, 9 February 2021 18:08 PM UTC
You are correct.
  1. Helpful
Armeen Mazda @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Tuesday, 9 February 2021 17:51 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 3

Hi Olan,

No, two minor versions cannot co-exist.  You will need to set them up on two separate physical machines or VMs. 

Starting with PB 2019 R3, minor versions of the PB runtime can co-exist, and a single PB IDE can deploy to multiple runtimes.  Here's more info: https://www.appeon.com/products/powerbuilder?tab=gb4ao2id42&ct=t(PB2019R3)#newinr3

Best regards,
Armeen

Comment
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.