1. Miguel Leeuwe
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Monday, 22 February 2021 05:16 AM UTC

Hi,

I'm trying to evaluate PS2021beta and I'm stuck since we don't have an Oracle db higher than 11g (yes ... I know).

So meanwhile I'm downloading 18c Express, I was wondering: To me, it looks a lot like there's not much difference anymore between Powerserver 2021 and PB 2021 if you would:

- use dw migrator and do all your SQL on a server
- use restful webapi to manipulate the data
- use powerclient to deploy.

I think that's pretty much what the new powerserver 2021 does. The only difference of course, is that using powerserver you'd finish migrating your project a lot faster.

Am I totally wrong in thinking that in the end-result between the 2 methodologies there's not much difference?

regards.

MiguelL

Note: I mean, there must be a difference, if not, I could generate everything using powerserver and run it without needing a powerserver licence? I just don't see it.

Accepted Answer
Armeen Mazda @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Monday, 22 February 2021 05:37 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # Permalink

Hi Miguel,

If you go through all the labor and hassles of...

1. Converting all your DataWindows to C# REST APIs with the DataWindow Migrator;

2. Converting all your embedded SQL to C# REST APIs with the PowerScript Migrator; and

3. Replacing all your data access calls in the app with REST calls to the C# REST APIs of 1 & 2 above.

Then yes... you end up with the same result that PowerServer gives you automatically.  In other words, PowerServer does all 3 of these things for you, and most customers think that is worth the license price.

Best regards,
Armeen

Comment
  1. Miguel Leeuwe
  2. Monday, 22 February 2021 05:53 AM UTC
Thanks for answering. That’s what I thought, not that I think I’d ever finish, but I was just wondering if technically it’s the same,

Cheers
  1. Helpful
  1. Armeen Mazda @Appeon
  2. Monday, 22 February 2021 06:09 AM UTC
At a high-level it is the same, but there are some technical differences how the C# REST APIs are consumed by the PB app and how dynamic SQL and dynamic DWs are handled in the PowerServer situation compared to you do the conversion as you outlined. So if you do use PowerServer, you will need to license the PowerServer runtime libraries as there is dependency on that.
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.

There are replies in this question but you are not allowed to view the replies from this question.