1. Sivaprakash BKR
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Saturday, 2 March 2024 14:13 PM UTC

Hello,

PB 2022 R3 Build 3289

We here feel that saving a window in PB 2022 R3 [IDE] is slow compared to PB 2019 R3.  Do others feel the same? 
We have developed only a part of another project.  

Every time we save a window, after making any changes in the code, the time taken is higher compared to saving a similar window in PB 2019 R3.

Happiness Always
BKR Sivaprakash

Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Saturday, 2 March 2024 17:32 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Hi BKR;

I've noticed the same things around my STD Framework. The Window painter is slower and the Menu painter is definitely much slower - both on the Open & Save operations.

FYI: PB 2021 & earlier releases were built using VC++ 2010.  PB 2022 GA was built using VC++ 2019 and PB 2022 R3 is built using VC++ 2022. These internal Microsoft compiler changes could account for some of the slower (more overhead) performance that we now see.

On my older W10 machine, I added another 16G of memory (32G in total), a new GPU & an SSD HD where all O/S temp files are now written to (including the PB IDE - see PB.inu setting for that). That certainly helped a lot. For the STD framework (like the PFC), a full build that was running in 20-25 minutes dropped down to 10-15 minutes. Also, Window & Menu painter performance was about 2x better.

Now moving even further forward, my newest machine is a Ryzen 7 based machine with a high end GPU & 1T SSD running W11. Now the STD Framework full builds are 1.5 - 2 minutes! I can boot the R7 machine from cold, login, start PB 2022R3 in about 25 seconds!!!

On the R7 machine, the Window & Menu painters are super fast. Even M-Code compiles are 1/10 the time. So while there is more overhead newer PB + O/S wise, sometimes you just need to "bite the bullet" & upgrade your development machines to counteract newer software changes (even Office 365 performance too). Anyway, just my $0.02. HTH

Regards ... Chris 

Comment
  1. Marc Wietscher
  2. Sunday, 3 March 2024 14:17 PM UTC
Hi Chris,

could you elaborate on those settings in pb.ini that you mentioned?

Thx

Marc
  1. Helpful
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Sunday, 3 March 2024 15:22 PM UTC
Hi Marc;

That would be the CODEGENTEMP setting.

FYI: https://docs.appeon.com/pb2022/pbug/Working_with_an_Application_project.html#Location_of_temporary_files

HTH

Regards ... Chris
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
mike S Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Saturday, 2 March 2024 16:51 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

what is "slow"?  30 seconds? 1 second?

Comment
There are no comments made yet.
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.
We use cookies which are necessary for the proper functioning of our websites. We also use cookies to analyze our traffic, improve your experience and provide social media features. If you continue to use this site, you consent to our use of cookies.