1. Sivaprakash BKR
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Saturday, 2 March 2024 14:13 PM UTC

Hello,

PB 2022 R3 Build 3289

We here feel that saving a window in PB 2022 R3 [IDE] is slow compared to PB 2019 R3.  Do others feel the same? 
We have developed only a part of another project.  

Every time we save a window, after making any changes in the code, the time taken is higher compared to saving a similar window in PB 2019 R3.

Happiness Always
BKR Sivaprakash

Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Saturday, 2 March 2024 17:32 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Hi BKR;

I've noticed the same things around my STD Framework. The Window painter is slower and the Menu painter is definitely much slower - both on the Open & Save operations.

FYI: PB 2021 & earlier releases were built using VC++ 2010.  PB 2022 GA was built using VC++ 2019 and PB 2022 R3 is built using VC++ 2022. These internal Microsoft compiler changes could account for some of the slower (more overhead) performance that we now see.

On my older W10 machine, I added another 16G of memory (32G in total), a new GPU & an SSD HD where all O/S temp files are now written to (including the PB IDE - see PB.inu setting for that). That certainly helped a lot. For the STD framework (like the PFC), a full build that was running in 20-25 minutes dropped down to 10-15 minutes. Also, Window & Menu painter performance was about 2x better.

Now moving even further forward, my newest machine is a Ryzen 7 based machine with a high end GPU & 1T SSD running W11. Now the STD Framework full builds are 1.5 - 2 minutes! I can boot the R7 machine from cold, login, start PB 2022R3 in about 25 seconds!!!

On the R7 machine, the Window & Menu painters are super fast. Even M-Code compiles are 1/10 the time. So while there is more overhead newer PB + O/S wise, sometimes you just need to "bite the bullet" & upgrade your development machines to counteract newer software changes (even Office 365 performance too). Anyway, just my $0.02. HTH

Regards ... Chris 

Comment
  1. Marc Wietscher
  2. Sunday, 3 March 2024 14:17 PM UTC
Hi Chris,

could you elaborate on those settings in pb.ini that you mentioned?

Thx

Marc
  1. Helpful
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Sunday, 3 March 2024 15:22 PM UTC
Hi Marc;

That would be the CODEGENTEMP setting.

FYI: https://docs.appeon.com/pb2022/pbug/Working_with_an_Application_project.html#Location_of_temporary_files

HTH

Regards ... Chris
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
mike S Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Saturday, 2 March 2024 16:51 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

what is "slow"?  30 seconds? 1 second?

Comment
There are no comments made yet.
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.