1. Allan Seagrott
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Wednesday, 23 June 2021 22:56 PM UTC

Hi

I've currently got a PB application which already has GIT setup locally for it.

I've created an Azure DevOps repo to host the master and configured the PB application with the source control options on the workspace.

My Git commit to master and Push work ok.

When I test a GIT pull and I'm receiving the following error.

---------- Source Control
Git pull
Git client is pulling workspace. Please wait...
Git detail error info: Cannot locate remote-tracking branch 'origin/master'
Git client error code: Requested object could not be found. Because of invalid value in Author, Email, username, password, or local branch name, etc.
Failed to update: E:\allan\Documents\Software\PB\v190\timentry
Failed to do Git pull.
Git pull completed.
---------- Done Source Control

I'm fairly new to GIT so not sure what I'm missing here.

Any idea what else I need to configure to get the pull to work?

Thanks in advance

Allan

Connie Dove Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 25 March 2022 20:20 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

I just watched this video ( https://www.appeon.com/developers/library/videos/git-its-advantages-and-mechanics-use-powerbuilder-2019.html) and can follow it pretty much, but the instructor mentioned some handouts or slidedeck being available.  Is that still available somewhere?  

Comment
There are no comments made yet.
Allan Seagrott Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 24 June 2021 03:33 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

Hi Armeen

I had a look at the video and the difference between what I'm doing on what was demonstrated, is the initial setup.

The initial GIT repository in Azure Dev Ops was created from a source directory, and then cloned back to the same machine in a second directory where he performed the work.

I was trying to use the source directory as the master and do the work from the same directory with it as the master copy rather than cloning to a second directory. Is this scenario possible?

Thanks

Allan

Comment
  1. Tom Jiang @Appeon
  2. Thursday, 24 June 2021 05:55 AM UTC
Hi Allan,

I am not sure exactly how did you set up your environment. It seems some branch tracking information is missing in your setup. I suggest that you upload source code to the repository according to the exact step described in the following link:

https://docs.appeon.com/pb2019r3/pbug/ch01s03.html#git_add

And then, if you need to connect from another machine or another directory, you can use the steps in the following link:

https://docs.appeon.com/pb2019r3/pbug/ch01s03.html#git_get

Regards,

Tom Jiang

1. Helpful
  1. Allan Seagrott
  2. Thursday, 24 June 2021 06:26 AM UTC
Hi Tom

Thanks for your reply, I've now got this to work.

I was the missing the step to initialise the Azure Dev Ops repository to create the initial branch (in Azure Dev Ops)

I'll list the steps I've gone through in case it's of use to someone else

After creating and initialising the Azure Dev Ops repo, I used Git Bash to clone the repo back to my desktop to create the PB master folder.

I then copied the PB objects into the folder and used Git Bash to Git Add *, Git commit -m "Initial Commit", Git Push as per the video to push the PB objects up to the repo.

I then opened the workspace and added the GIT properties to the Source Control.

Via the PB system tree, I initiated a commit -> master which did the initial ws_objects commit, then a push to the remote. Ran a pull to make sure it worked, and error free this time round.

I was then able to clone to my laptop.

Thanks

Allan

1. Helpful 1
  1. Tom Jiang @Appeon
  2. Thursday, 24 June 2021 06:48 AM UTC
That's great news and thanks for sharing your solution!
  1. Helpful
Armeen Mazda @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 23 June 2021 23:30 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 3

Hi Allan,

Since you are new to Git, it might be useful you first go through this Elevate 2020 session: https://www.appeon.com/developers/library/videos/git-its-advantages-and-mechanics-use-powerbuilder-2019.html

Best regards,
Armeen

Comment
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.