1. John Carter
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Saturday, 21 August 2021 20:02 PM UTC

I am getting a windows exception when I try to open any datawindow in the dw painter from the IDE running on terminal server on a  2008 winserver.

What I did b4 the exception:

I created new datawindow graph,  I saved the datawindow to the wrong PBL.  I then moved it to the correct pbl.

I tried to open the datawindow from the correct pbl and the IDE crashed.  No matter what datawindow I try to open the IDE crashes

The Error Msg:

Log Name: Application
Source: Application Error
Date: 8/21/2021 1:19:58 PM
Event ID: 1000
Task Category: (100)
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: ...
Description:
Faulting application name: PB170.EXE, version: 17.2.0.1951, time stamp: 0x603db0c1
Faulting module name: PBDEV170.dll, version: 17.2.0.1951, time stamp: 0x603db302
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0003c170
Faulting process id: 0x191c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d796b09c37de3f
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Appeon\PowerBuilder 17.0\PB170.EXE
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Appeon\Shared\PowerBuilder\PBDEV170.dll

What I have tested and Done:

I can open any datawindow's source, make changes and save.   The problem is with the datawindow painter

I have opened other workspaces and get the same error when opening a datawindow in the painter

I re-applied the 1951 update- no help

I compiled the application and it runs fine.

I copied the application to another 2017-1951 powerbuilder installation - no error when opening a datawindow

I am thinking that I have to reinstall 2017r3 but was hoping there may be some other possible fix.

Thank you ,  John

Accepted Answer
Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Saturday, 21 August 2021 20:24 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # Permalink

Hi John;

I suspect it's because you changed the DW Painter's layout in some way that is now causing the instability.

Please try this procedure ...

• Close the PB IDE
  • Run RegEdit
  • Navigate to ... HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Sybase\Powerbuilder\17.0\Layout\Default
  • Delete the Datawindow string entry
  • Restart PB IDE and try opening a datawindow painter again.

HTH

Regards .... Chris

Comment
  1. John Carter
  2. Sunday, 22 August 2021 14:01 PM UTC
That was it - I have no ideas what i may have changed but datawindows load fine now

Thank you
  1. Helpful
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Sunday, 22 August 2021 14:18 PM UTC
Hi John;

That is "awesome" news!

Just to add on to Armeen's note though that the PB IDE is not supported on MS-Windows "server" editions (though your most welcome to without support) ... also, App EXE's are no longer supported on W2008 either since PB2019R2.

Regards ... Chris
  1. Helpful 1
There are no comments made yet.
Armeen Mazda @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Saturday, 21 August 2021 20:19 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

The IDE itself not supported on Server OS.  Just the compiled apps are supported on Server OS.

Can you reproduce on Windows 10?  If yes, please open a support ticket.

Comment
There are no comments made yet.
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.
We use cookies which are necessary for the proper functioning of our websites. We also use cookies to analyze our traffic, improve your experience and provide social media features. If you continue to use this site, you consent to our use of cookies.