1. Frankel David
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Tuesday, 17 May 2022 06:51 AM UTC

We have a rather large Powerbuilder application running in many customer servers worldwide.

Most customers run the program on windows terminal servers in a computer farm and virtual desktops.

We are getting complaints that when upgrading to Windows 2019 servers there is a definite reduction in performance.

We have upgraded to PB 2021 and tried running in 64 bit but without any noticeable improvement.

Is this a know problem?

If so is there any solution ?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

David Frankel

Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Tuesday, 17 May 2022 12:34 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Hi David;

Have you tried turning the Windows "Accessibility" off as it's quite a resource overhead?

https://community.appeon.com/index.php/qna/q-a/is-setting-accessibility-0-in-the-pb-ini-file-a-valid-long-term-solution

Regards ... Chris

Comment
There are no comments made yet.
mike S Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Tuesday, 17 May 2022 14:43 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

You said that you upgraded to windows server 2019 first and noticed performance problems prior to upgrading to PB21 64bit.

What version  of PB were you running at that time? And i assume it was 32 bit version?  What database and database drivers were you using?

What kind of performance problem was/is it?  Is it related to retrieval of data, or something else?

Did you check your anti virus?  If you tell AV to skip checking your application, that may speed things up

Comment
Frankel David Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Tuesday, 17 May 2022 19:02 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 3

Chris,

I see that the Accessibility flag is  set in PB.INI.

But I don't recall that this file is deployed with Runtime,

I thought it is only used on  development computers.

So changing it in development will effect the complication of the runtime executable - or do we have to install the pb.ini file on the customers terminal servers ?

Mike,

Our programs run on our customers servers and we have no control of the Operating system that they choose as long as it meets our minimum requirements.

The production programs are PB2017 32Bit. Upgrading to pb2021 is still underway.

Customers who have added new servers with Windows 2019 complain of general performance problems.

Nothing specific - same program on server 2008 or 2102 works ok but they complain when they upgrade to Windows server 2019(Terminal server)

We have not been able to pin this down to any specific parts of the program.

We have upgraded the program to PB2021 32bit and 64 bit in the office and run it on windows server 2019  but this does not show any performance improvement over 2017. Same with 64 bit over 32 bit.

So my question was -  has anyone else heard of problems with Powerbuilder and Windows terminal servers 2019.

Thanks for your help.

d.f.

Comment
  1. mike S
  2. Tuesday, 17 May 2022 19:30 PM UTC
"install the pb.ini file on the customers terminal servers" - yes, this is a run time setting. it does help performance a lot for when you have lot of data in a datawindow.

1. Helpful
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Tuesday, 17 May 2022 20:21 PM UTC
Hi .. Mike is correct. The "custom" PB.ini file is only deployed to the folder where the App EXE is located.
  1. Helpful
Frankel David Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 20 May 2022 12:59 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 4

We added the pb.ini file to the runtime directory(where the .exe is) with flag set to 0.

But can't say there was any improvement.

We will try it in a production environment next.

d.f.

Comment
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.