1. Luke Monson
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Tuesday, 27 April 2021 21:14 PM UTC

When we update to PB2019 R3, then we compile. In order to deploy our applications the new runtime files that need to be renamed so that the version number indicator (such as "170", "190") is gone, will need to be deployed as well. Is this correct?
I'm trying to understand how we can update our apps and get them tested, but also having a fall back.
We are currently on PB2019 R2.

Armeen Mazda @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Tuesday, 27 April 2021 21:21 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Hi Luke,

Since minor versions of the PB IDE cannot co-exist, if you want a fallback I would suggest to install PB 2019 R3 to a different physical or virtual machine.

As far as deploying your apps, I suggest trying out the new PowerClient feature (added to PB 2019 R3) as it takes care of deploying the runtime to your users as well as the app itself and automatically updates this whenever there is changes.  https://www.appeon.com/products/power-client

The version indicator is no longer on the file names, but now they are in their own folders that are versioned.  And starting from PB 2019 R3, you can have multiple versions of runtime installed on same machine (even if they are minor versions).  Before you could not do that.  

Please carefully read the documentation about the changes we made to the runtime: https://docs.appeon.com/pb2019r3/whats_new/Separating_Runtime_from_IDE.html

Best regards,
Armeen

Comment
  1. Luke Monson
  2. Tuesday, 27 April 2021 21:39 PM UTC
Thank you Armeen.

Alright, so from what I understand now. We can't just update to R3, continue compiling, and shipping updated applications without deploying updated runtime files that come with and or are generated with R3 (package manager).
  1. Helpful
  1. Armeen Mazda @Appeon
  2. Tuesday, 27 April 2021 21:45 PM UTC
Correct. This has always been the case that when you upgrade your PB IDE version you need to update the runtime files. However, going forward you can upgrade your PB IDE to newer version and still deploy as far back as PB 2019 R3 runtime. This way you can get benefits of upgraded IDE if that is all you are after and keep deploying to the same runtime. Please take a look at this section in the documentation I previously provided to you: https://docs.appeon.com/pb2019r3/whats_new/ch01s01s03.html
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
Luke Monson Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Tuesday, 27 April 2021 22:00 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

Thanks again Armeen. Wish you the best!

Comment
  1. Armeen Mazda @Appeon
  2. Tuesday, 27 April 2021 22:04 PM UTC
You're very welcome!
  1. Helpful
  1. Thursday, 29 April 2021 18:03 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 3

If I keep R2 on actual machines and put R3 on a virtual desktop, can they use the same source control? Or should they use separate source control for the objects/pbls?

Comment
  1. Armeen Mazda @Appeon
  2. Thursday, 29 April 2021 18:31 PM UTC
All developers working on the same source code should be on same version of PB. You guys will create a mess if you mix n' match.
  1. Helpful
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Thursday, 29 April 2021 18:32 PM UTC
Hi Luke .. they can but ... *never* do that as R3 IDE has updated object source code that could foul-up or even crash the R2 IDE.
  1. Helpful
  1. Luke Monson
  2. Thursday, 29 April 2021 18:39 PM UTC
I figured that, but the big wigs wanted conformation. : )

Thanks a ton!
  1. Helpful
  1. Tuesday, 4 May 2021 15:47 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 4

I have a PowerBuilder 2019 R2 application running on a windows 10 machine that I installed the 2019 R2 msi files to C://pbR2.

If I install 2019R3 msi files to C://pbR3 on the same machine and ship a compiled pbR3 application as well.

Will I be able to run both the applications on the same machine?

Comment
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Tuesday, 4 May 2021 16:50 PM UTC
Chris Pollach @Appeon

Hi Luke;

Sure - not a problem. Just make sure that the R3 PB runtime installation will be in a different folder than R2. Then configure the R3 PB App's XML file - that the R3 IDE now generates and you deploy with the R3 PB App EXE - points to the same location as the R3 runtime folder.

As for the R2 based App's, the R2 runtime folder location can be augmented using the Windows O/S System Path.

If you install the appropriate PB runtime in the same folder as the PB App's EXE, then the above configuration is not necessary as the runtime is automatically located by the O/S from where the App EXE is started.

Another way to keep the R2 and R3 app runtime separated on the same machine and also away from the associated App EXE(s), is to use a .BAT file to start the App. In each App's BAT file, you can set the environment as to where the O/S is to look for the PB runtime.

HTH

Regards ... Chris
  1. Helpful
  1. Luke Monson
  2. Tuesday, 4 May 2021 17:00 PM UTC
Hey Chris,

Thank you for that info. That's sounds like something we can do to help smooth our upgrade. Appreciate that a lot!
  1. Helpful
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Tuesday, 4 May 2021 17:07 PM UTC
You are most welcome!
  1. Helpful
  1. Monday, 24 May 2021 20:15 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 5

Does the MSOLEDBSQL driver need to be installed on every client machine (on the machines our apps run on)?

Comment
  1. Luke Monson
  2. Monday, 24 May 2021 21:20 PM UTC
Alright, thank you. We are utilizing the new SQL Server driver. Thanks for the information! It's just what I needed in order to continue.
  1. Helpful
  1. John Fauss
  2. Monday, 24 May 2021 22:18 PM UTC
You're welcome! Please note that the PB driver for MSOLEDBSQL and the MSOLEDBSQL Client are two separate components. The former is the PB driver that communicates with the latter. The client is distributed by Microsoft and is NOT included in the PB 2019 R3 installation. You download the .msi from microsoft.com, and it MUST be installed via the .msi. The new MSOLEDBSQL Client has to be installed on each client machine, the same as the old SQLCLI11 Client it replaces.
  1. Helpful
  1. Luke Monson
  2. Tuesday, 25 May 2021 13:14 PM UTC
Thanks again, that helps to make sense of it.
  1. Helpful
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.