1. Eduardo G.
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Tuesday, 25 February 2020 15:30 PM UTC

Hello,
We have PowerBuilder 2017 R3 and 2019, we cannot have both IDE's open at the same time because of the account check.

"This account is already logged in to PowerBuilder. Please use another account"

I'm sorry, but that sounds really stupid. Is there a solution?

The two PB products are universally licensed.

Thank you.

Accepted Answer
René Ullrich Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 26 February 2020 06:29 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # Permalink
2
Votes
Undo

Hi Eduardo,

try this workaround:

  • Open two instances of IDE PB 2017
  • Sign out License in one of the IDE
  • Open PB 2019

This works for me. So you have a remaining PB 2017 IDE and a PB 2019 IDE open at the same time.

René

Comment
Thanks, this works.

That's nice.
  1. Eduardo G.
  2. Wednesday, 26 February 2020 08:26 AM UTC
Great tip Rene'!
  1. Kevin Ridley
  2. Wednesday, 26 February 2020 12:19 PM UTC
There are no comments made yet.
Eduardo G. Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 26 February 2020 08:20 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1
0
Votes
Undo

I'm glad it's been taken into account to be solved, but I think it's a shame.
Do we have to wait for R3? Year 2021?
In the end I have 1 product with 2 versions and I can't have it open at the same time for code tracking. I use a drawing application to copy screens so I can work. That sucks.

Comment
There are no comments made yet.
Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Tuesday, 25 February 2020 17:00 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2
1
Votes
Undo

Hi Kevin;

  AFAIK: The next PB2019 release (R2) will not address this licensing issue. I have now confirmed with Engineering that Appeon will address this issue in PB2019 R3.

Regards ... Chris

Comment
Hi Chris,



but then this issue will only be fixed for simultaneous use of PB2019R3 and any future releases, right?

PB2017 and PB2019 will still not be usable at the same time.

So this issue should rather be fixed with MR/EBF for all versions.

Right now Appeon prevents us from using software, that we lawfully obtained.



As Eduardo mentioned before, PB is licensed universally.



Best regards,

Marc
  1. Marc Wietscher
  2. Tuesday, 25 February 2020 20:01 PM UTC
Hi Marc;

My understanding is that this change mainly needs to be made to the licensing system (server based). That's the RESTFul web service that is called by the IDE that returns the Yes/No answer on whether to proceed with the login or not. If there any required changes on the PB IDE side as well, then I would imagine that Appeon will also put out simultaneous MR's for supported PB releases to coincide with those license changes.

Regards ... Chris
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Tuesday, 25 February 2020 21:25 PM UTC
There are no comments made yet.
Kevin Ridley Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Tuesday, 25 February 2020 15:56 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 3
2
Votes
Undo

Agreed.  Word is they are working on fixing this in the next release.  I know that doesn't help right now, but they are aware and working on it.

Comment
FYI: Appeon has been aware of it for at least 8 months and they scheduled to fix it with PB2019R2. Let's see if R3 will finally fix this issue.



https://community.appeon.com/index.php/qna/q-a/can-2017-r2-2019-both-be-installed



Why does this one need to be fixed with another PB release at all? I guess it rather needs to be fixed in Appeon's online licence manager, right?



Best regards

Marc
  1. Marc Wietscher
  2. Tuesday, 25 February 2020 20:16 PM UTC
I didn't know how the license server worked specifically until Chris mentioned above that the service just returns Yes/No. This seems like a no brainer to me to fix asap. If we are licensed for both 2017 and 2019, and can have multiple instances of both open at any given time, it's seems crazy that we can't have 1 of each open. I fully agree, an based on what Chris said, it wouldn't even need a maintenance release.
  1. Kevin Ridley
  2. Tuesday, 25 February 2020 22:35 PM UTC
Btw - I opened bug 4017 for this issue about 3 weeks ago.
  1. Kevin Ridley
  2. Tuesday, 25 February 2020 22:42 PM UTC
There are no comments made yet.
  • Page :
  • 1


There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.