1. Brett Weaver
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Friday, 29 September 2023 04:44 AM UTC

I feel a bit trepidatious asking this question as the last time I had a problem with PB2022 R2 my Laptop had a failing SSD and that was the fault.

Unfortunately, I have two important applications which are behaving differently under their R2 compilations rather than PB2022.

Application 1.. We have objects that are created using PFC (buttons)  delivered as a power client which do not appear (Not visible but functional) for *some* users. I and my developer co-workers have no issues but *some* users have a problem where there is white space where a button should be. I have spent quite a bit of time on this but it works perfectly compiled under PB2022.

I guess I might be able to recode the windows but the following I can't do anything with

Application 2.. I have an application with a complex composite data window which all of a sudden starts producing blank pages between the pages with data. I have done all of the usual tricks looking for hidden fields etc.

I created a new composite report and started adding reports to it. When I get past six (the last having a lot of reports within it too)  adding the seventh, all of a sudden it wants to go onto 2 pages (starts producing blanks between). It does not matter what datawindow I add to the report, even one that was previously added as report number 1 and caused no issues. 

So.. I'm starting to feel like I need to revert. 

This will also cause problems because we would like to use PB2022 R2's browser because it can access SharePoint Documents  (can use permissions without having to log on) and other enhancements

** Note on Application 2 ** acting on a thought I went through all of the 15 nested reports on the sixth report and just hauled them in a smidge from the right-hand side (remember this code was unaltered for the last 6 months) then adding the seventh report to the composite went smoothly and the white pages were not generated. I must put in a request that appeon develop a check for page bleed. I wonder if it's because we have had new printer drivers loaded in the environment?

Thanks to you folk who commented - I appreciate it.  I will work on the first issue and let you know how I get on.

Brett Weaver Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 9 February 2024 04:17 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

I want to record this Just in case someone else comes up with disappearing Picture Buttons..

I finally found out what was happening with the buttons. I was having to support a large application with PB2022 rather than R2 or R3 because random buttons disappeared when the application was compiled with the later releases.

The picture button was one of 10 appearing on a window.. Dont ask, it was created by a large accounting firm in 1995... 

The Picture button object was getting a setting of "True"  with OriginalSize and then the button was resized!

The manual says : "You should not try to change the width or height of a picture control when OriginalSize is set to true, because it can lead to unexpected behavior."

Well, the unexpected behavior started with R2 :-)

It was very difficult to diagnose. I hope my solution will save someone time in the future.

Thanks to those that tried to help - I really appreciate it.

Comment
  1. Armeen Mazda @Appeon
  2. Friday, 9 February 2024 15:12 PM UTC
Thanks for sharing Brett!
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 29 September 2023 14:32 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

Hi Brett;

Are both Apps using the same version of the PFC libraries?

Regards ... Chris

Comment
  1. Brett Weaver
  2. Friday, 29 September 2023 18:03 PM UTC
Same PFC libraries as the app is deployed using PowerClient.
  1. Helpful
David Peace (Powersoft) Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 29 September 2023 09:18 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 3

Brett

I'm sure you have checked all these, so I appologise in advance if you have.

Taking your first issue with PowerClient and bottons not rendering, are the users getting the objects/images for the Button. Does it work if compiled as an EXE? I'm just wondering if there is a problem pushing the application out to the client, perhaps it's not seeing changes?

Yuo mentioned that it works for developers, so I wonder if there is some sort of issue with the runtime deployment for the users who do not have PB installed?

As said before, I would raise a support ticket.

Comment
  1. Brett Weaver
  2. Friday, 29 September 2023 18:04 PM UTC
I will get the users to completely uninstall their code and reinstall - Thanks for the suggestion
  1. Helpful
Miguel Leeuwe Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 29 September 2023 08:30 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 4
Comment
  1. Brett Weaver
  2. Friday, 29 September 2023 18:08 PM UTC
You are right. I just worry that I have forgotten something real basic which why I asked for comments. I certainly will for Issue 2 as I can supply code and data for that. Issue 1 the data is too sensitive.
  1. Helpful
  1. Miguel Leeuwe
  2. Saturday, 30 September 2023 09:32 AM UTC
For issue 1 you can create a "private" ticket so only Appeon can see the data.
  1. Helpful
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.