1. VINOD NAIR
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Wednesday, 29 November 2023 23:24 PM UTC

We utilize Visual SVN for our source code repository. We have a main branch for our suite of applications and currently running PB 2019 R2. We want to start a project to migrate these applications to PB 2022 R2/R3 but at the same time we want to continue working in the main branch in parallel. If we create a branch from the main trunk for PB 2022 R2/R3 migration and once it is complete can we merge back into the main trunk without any issues so after the merge back into the main trunk we will be only working with PB 2022 R2/R3. 

The reason I am posing this question is because the merge is happening between PB 2019 R2 PBL's and PB 2022 R2/R3 PBL's which possible have 2 different structures in the source code. We don't want to loose any code changes made in main trunk while the migration branch is being worked on.

Miguel Leeuwe Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 1 December 2023 16:00 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Hi,

I don't know exactly what you mean with "2 different structures in the source code", but it doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

First do your migration, then merge what has to be merged and then after having completed that step and no longer use 2 different PB versions, then at last change your "structure" to whatever you want to change it.

HTH

regards

Comment
There are no comments made yet.
Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 1 December 2023 15:30 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

Hi Vinod;

I wonder if this question might be best asked on an SVN community / support forum as it's not really related to PB - any development tool issues regarding branching of code and then re-merging that source code back again later on is probably an all SVN strategy? Food for thought.

Regards ... Chris

Comment
  1. VINOD NAIR
  2. Friday, 1 December 2023 15:45 PM UTC
Hi Chris,

We are going to try it out with a small test project and see how it works out. I only posted here to see if anyone had any experience with SVN and the 2 versions.

Regards

Vinod
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.