1. James Anderson
  2. InfoMaker
  3. Tuesday, 10 December 2019 20:22 PM UTC

First time joining this forum.  Currently running Infomaker V11.2, considered updating but we also have an old version of our ERP and are not sure if current Infomaker would be backwards compatible, but that will be saved for another topic later.

The question here is whether or not Infomaker can support 2D barcode font pdf417.  If the answer is no then would anyone know a workaround or a method that we could add the capability?

Customers are requiring us to add a pdf417 barcode to the reports that we generate from our ERP.

Help is appreciated.

Christopher Altvater Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 12 December 2019 14:46 PM UTC
  2. InfoMaker
  3. # 1

IDAutomation (idautomation.com) has a PDF417 ActiveX control that works with PB. I tried it years ago with PB9 and it worked. However, I was using a Zebra printer at the time and I had the printer render the barcodes.

Comment
  1. James Anderson
  2. Thursday, 12 December 2019 19:52 PM UTC
Sounds like exactly what we need. Our reports also print on zebra printers in 4" x 6". I will follow up with them.

Thanks!
  1. Helpful
  1. Christopher Altvater
  2. Thursday, 12 December 2019 20:11 PM UTC
James,

There is a zebra printer post a few days ago that might be helpful to you. To have the barcode generated on the printer, you will need to create the ZPL scripts for the tags and send it to the printer.

Chris
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
Shenn Sellers Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 11 December 2019 17:57 PM UTC
  2. InfoMaker
  3. # 2

I've used the component Olan refers to for creating barcodes in PB.  You can download an old example here, but it should still work in any version of PB.

https://www.tec-it.com/download/Dokumentation/PB10Tutorial.zip

Comment
Olan Knight Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 11 December 2019 17:28 PM UTC
  2. InfoMaker
  3. # 3

I see no reason why PBv11.2 cannot handle this barcode. I've added barcodes to PBv10 successfully, though to be fair they were simple text replacement barcodes.

Here's a free online pdf417 barcode generator that might be of use in determining how to GET the data to be converted into the pdf417 2D barcode.
https://barcode.tec-it.com/en/PDF417

Good Luck. PLease let us know when you find your solution!

Later -
Olan

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

FYI for others like me who have never heard of 2D barcodes prior to this post:

PDF417 is a stacked linear barcode format used in a variety of applications such as transport, identification cards, and inventory management. "PDF" stands for Portable Data File. The "417" signifies that each pattern in the code consists of 4 bars and spaces in a pattern that is 17 units long.
Image result for pdf417 barcode
Image result for pdf417 barcode

Comment
Armeen Mazda @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Tuesday, 10 December 2019 21:42 PM UTC
  2. InfoMaker
  3. # 4

Hi James,

Sorry for dumb question but you cannot simply test this by switching to this font or do you mean you tried and it doesn't work?  Or is your question how to install additional fonts?

Regards,
Armeen

Comment
  1. James Anderson
  2. Tuesday, 10 December 2019 22:04 PM UTC
Armeen

Thanks for responding.

It is a 2D barcode, more complicated than straight text to text font change. I imagine the barcode itself looks more like a table than a single line of text.

V11.2 does not have an option for pdf417. I am wondering if a) later versions do or b) we can install it and manipulate the input data.

1. Helpful
  1. Armeen Mazda @Appeon
  2. Tuesday, 10 December 2019 22:37 PM UTC
We didn't specifically add barcode to later versions. Whether there is a way to install and manipulate it I'm not sure. Hopefully, somebody has come up with workaround and will post it here.
  1. Helpful
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.