1. Gerrit Bruns
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Thursday, 2 March 2023 15:15 PM UTC

Hi,

what are the plans for supporting MS SQL Server 2022 and Versions of the MSOLEDBSQL19 newer 19.0.0?

According to the PB Help only MS SQL Server Versions up to 2019 are supported and only the MSOLEDBSQL19 Driver Version 19.0.0 is supported.

Since at least yesterday, MSOLEDBSQL19 Version 19.0.0 and higher are officially supporting MS SQL Server 2022. (See: Support policies for OLE DB Driver for SQL Server - OLE DB Driver for SQL Server | Microsoft Learn)

How are the future support plans regarding MSOLEDBSQL Drivers and MS SQL Server Versions?

If a Version of the MSOLEDB Driver is supported by PB, are all MS SQL Server Versions, that are supported by that Driver Version, automatically supported?

Are there any known issues with MSOLEDBSQL19 Version 19.3.0?

Regards,

Gerrit Bruns

Roland Smith Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 10 March 2023 14:05 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Version 19.3 of the driver was built with a newer version of Visual Studio and we ran into a bunch of problems getting the C++ Runtime that the installer expected. We decided to go with 19.2 instead.

Comment
There are no comments made yet.
Julie Jiang @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Tuesday, 7 March 2023 00:05 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

Hi Gerrit,

I checked with the engineering team. Actually PowerBuilder 2022 supports both version 18.x and 19.x MSOLEDBSQL drivers. So, it is ok to use MSOLEDBSQL19 Version 19.3.0. 

I have now informed our writer to update the documentation regarding this.

Best regards, Julie

Comment
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Tuesday, 7 March 2023 03:19 AM UTC
Hi Julie et Al;

I'm now running PB2022 build 1892 against an updated SS release 2022 with no issues. I'm using MSO, ODBC & SNC connection types with no problems (thus far) against SS2022 based PB Apps. HTH

Regards ... Chris
  1. Helpful
  1. Gerrit Bruns
  2. Tuesday, 7 March 2023 08:50 AM UTC
Hi Julie,

good to know.

If Microsoft always changes the Major Version Number, when there are changes in the interface, than it may be a good idea to change the documentation to reflect that. For example Version 19.x is supported and not a specific minor version. Including a hint, that it is only the case as long as Microsoft doesn't change the interface in a minor version.

@Chris, an update would be nice, especially if there are any problems.

Regards,

Gerrit Bruns
  1. Helpful
Armeen Mazda @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 3 March 2023 15:44 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 3

Hi Gerrit,

We plan on support SQL Server 2022 in the upcoming PowerBuilder 2022 R2, which is tentatively scheduled to release end of July 2023.

Generally when we support a newer driver it is in tandem with supporting newer versions of SQL Server.  But in case the version of driver is supported and database version is not listed as supported, it means we have not tested that database version for compatibility with PB.

So in the case of the current PowerBuilder 2022 that does support the new MSOLEDBSQL driver but doesn't support SQL Server 2022, here are implications if you decide to use SQL Server 2022 now instead of wait for PowerBuilder 2022 R2:

1. If there are problems that you cannot reproduce on a supported version (e.g. SQL Server 2019), Appeon support would not provide fixes.

2. We cannot tell you what are the known issues because we haven't tested SQL Server 2022 yet.

3. You are taking on risk that there could be more problems than usual, and definitely budget extra time to test every single function point.

Hope this helps clarifies things.

Best regards,
Armeen

Comment
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Wednesday, 8 March 2023 13:42 PM UTC
Hi Gerrit ... In that special case, I'm sure that Appeon Engineering will provide a "hot fix" and/or a proper MR ASAP to address this aspect. Chris
  1. Helpful
  1. Armeen Mazda @Appeon
  2. Wednesday, 8 March 2023 18:02 PM UTC
Your hypothetical situation doesn't make sense to me. If the current major version of the driver is not end of life, Microsoft has obligation to provide security updates for that supported major version, especially if the security update is critical importance. Anyway, resolving critical security issues that affect app in runtime (e.g. could compromise your production data) is high priority at Appeon.
  1. Helpful
  1. Gerrit Bruns
  2. Friday, 10 March 2023 13:52 PM UTC
Good to know that.
  1. Helpful
Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 3 March 2023 01:16 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 4

Hi Gerrit ;

I checked with Engineering tonight and the plan is to officially support SS 2022 version in PB 2022 R2.  HTH

Regards ....Chris

Comment
  1. Gerrit Bruns
  2. Friday, 3 March 2023 09:33 AM UTC
Hi Chris,

thaks for the quick answer.

What about the other Questions?

How are the future support plans regarding MSOLEDBSQL Drivers and MS SQL Server Versions?

If a Version of the MSOLEDB Driver is supported by PB, are all MS SQL Server Versions, that are supported by that Driver Version, automatically supported? => From your answer, I assmue that that is not the case, correct? Are the MSOLEDBSQL Driver Versions separately supported?

Are there any known issues with MSOLEDBSQL19 Version 19.3.0?

Regards,

Gerit Bruns
  1. Helpful
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Friday, 3 March 2023 12:57 PM UTC
Hi Gerrit;

My understanding is that the various SS drivers will be updated in R2 for SS2022.

As far as v19.3.0 issues - that should also be addressed in R2 if they have been already reported.

Regards... Chris
  1. Helpful 1
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.