1. Michael Kochevar
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Wednesday, 17 April 2019 16:00 PM UTC

We have recently migrated our source code from PB 11.5 Build 3050 to PB2017r2. Clients are complaining that the software is now taking considerably longer to open than before (32 seconds in PB 11.5 and 2 minutes 23 seconds in PB2017). There are no code changes between the two versions and all queries and processes that run on opening are performed in the same amount of time. The software seems to hang after all debugging is complete so it is hard to pinpoint where the slowness is being created. 

Any help on this would be great i.e. new debugging methods (currently using PB debugging and stepping through the code) or any suggestions at all as to why this would be happening.

Thank you in advance,

Mike

Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Tuesday, 23 April 2019 16:41 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Hi Mike;

Is this a PFC based application?

Regards ... Chris

Comment
  1. Michael Kochevar
  2. Tuesday, 23 April 2019 17:21 PM UTC
Hi Chris,

This is not a PFC based application, we use the Progeny framework.

Thanks,

Mike
  1. Helpful
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Tuesday, 23 April 2019 18:08 PM UTC
Wow ... I have not heard that name mentioned in quite a while ... http://www.levinecentral.com/pblclass.html

PB 12.0 did change some event firing order. I wonder if this has had some adverse effects on your applications because the framework has not adjusted for these variances (just a guess)?

1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
Michael Kochevar Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Tuesday, 23 April 2019 12:31 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

We have the app installed on an app server and the database on a database server. When testing in a development environment the database is local along with the source code but we still see performance issues between the two versions of PB.

Comment
Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 17 April 2019 18:56 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 3

Hi Mike;

Are you running this PB App off a File Server?

Regards ... Chris

Comment
Roland Smith Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 17 April 2019 16:40 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 4

Try using the Profiling tools.

Comment
  1. Michael Kochevar
  2. Tuesday, 23 April 2019 12:37 PM UTC
I am not familiar with the profiling tools. The Class View and the Routine View both work but I am not sure what to take from the data I see and the Trace View which is the one I think would be most beneficial as it should list what is happening in chronological order crashes when I use it.
  1. Helpful
David Peace (Powersoft) Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 17 April 2019 16:24 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 5

Hi Mike

I've not see this behaviour before, also the jump between PB11.5 and PB2017 is not huge so would not expect such a delay. From what you have said all code on the open event of the application and subsequent windows that are opened has processed before the "wait" starts".

Questions:

1. Same database?

2. Same PC for the client?

3. Apart from PB has anything else changed?

I'm thinking something environmental, or code that is being executed that you did not realise :)

You could always use the pbdebug switch to see what is happening.

Let me know any info you have and we will try and help.

Regards

David

Comment
  1. Michael Kochevar
  2. Tuesday, 23 April 2019 12:34 PM UTC
1. Yes

2. App is on the client machine and database on another.

3. To my knowledge nothing other than PB has changed.

I have used the pbdebug switch on both versions and the files are similar in size (the PB 11.5 is 1000 kb larger). I am having problem comparing the two file as they are both close to 400MB.
  1. Helpful
  1. David Peace (Powersoft)
  2. Wednesday, 24 April 2019 08:20 AM UTC
I think that the best route for you to go down is to use the tools to analyse the pbdebug to see where the delay occurs. The pbdebug analysis has the times for each line executed.

Cheers

David
  1. Helpful
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.