1. Don Youren
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Friday, 27 April 2018 14:44 PM UTC

We have recently changed our application to save datawindow as .XLSX! rather than the old Excel! format which worked well in development, but causes app to crash when used by our testers. Both "PBDWExcel12Interop170.dll" and "Sybase.PowerBuilder.DataWindow.Excel12.dll" were copied to the runtime directory where the rest of the DLL's reside as instructed on the deployment help.

We don't install new versions of the PB runtime using the installer as we have around 500 users in various locations around Europe so and  I now believe that the "Sybase.PowerBuilder.DataWindow.Excel12.dll" needs to be installed in the GAC. GacUtil.exe won't be installed on our user PC's and I believe that administrator rights are needed to do this!

Is there an established method to get around this or am misunderstanding what is required?

Shenn Sellers Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 27 April 2018 15:43 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Not sure why you are having an issue.  We never use the installer and don't put anything in the GAC.  We just copy the deployment files to the proper directory and have never had a problem.

Comment
  1. Don Youren
  2. Monday, 30 April 2018 09:14 AM UTC
I'm guessing that your deployment setup may be different to ours as we have multiple PB apps fronted by a C#  launcher windows form app which adds a directory to the path containing the PB DLL's before launching PB apps. The "Sybase.PowerBuilder.DataWindow.Excel12.dll" was in this directory, but we found is was not being found in the path. But copying this DLL to each of our PB app directories solved this issue and no longer crashes PowerBuilder.

Hope this of help to others!

1. Helpful
  1. Jason Lipman
  2. Monday, 30 April 2018 15:02 PM UTC
Interesting. I do something similar with a command file and the Excel DLL is seen in the base runtime file directory. I set the path for a 'runtime' thread, the run the app as below. I can save as xlsx.

echo off

set path=\\runtime\PB 12.6.0 25581 (Build 4088);%PATH%

START /B \\\apps\test\app_path\app.exe

Jason

1. Helpful
  1. Miguel Leeuwe
  2. Monday, 30 April 2018 16:34 PM UTC
Not sure is this is the case but FYI, if you have any invalid (non existing) folder in you path variable, then any folder after the invalid one won't be found. (as if it's not in the path).

1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.