1. Olaf Brungot
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Wednesday, 9 January 2019 13:05 PM UTC

Hi,

Is it possible to authenticate ADFS users using SAML/OAUTH in Powerbuilder 2017?

What would be the best approach for this?

Marco Meoni Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 9 January 2019 13:27 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Hi Olaf,

PowerBuilder supports OAuth 2.0 via the new OAuthCLient object, here the API: 

https://www.appeon.com/support/documents/appeon_online_help/pb2017r3/objects_and_controls/ch02s61.html

Depending on what you want to achieve, remember that, unlike SAML, OAuth doesn’t deal with authentication. It is a standard for authorisation of resources.

Best,

.m

Comment
There are no comments made yet.
Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 9 January 2019 20:45 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

Hi Olaf;

ADFS is actually built upon Active Directory. You can communicate with AD directly / indirectly (see my Elevate 2018 presentation) in your PowerBuilder or PowerServer apps as one solution or utilize ADFS via REST and oAuth2, as follows:

FYI:  https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/identity/ad-fs/overview/ad-fs-scenarios-for-developers

HTH

Regards ... Chris

Comment
Christophe Dufourmantelle Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Monday, 14 January 2019 09:40 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 3
Hi Olaf,

Visual Guard 2019 R2 will add the support for oAuth2 and SAML 2.0 to PB applications. As Marco mentioned, the latter allows to manage both Authentications and Authorizations, so I guess it depends on your security requirements.

As for ADFS, you can reuse Windows Accounts defined in Active Directory (AD) to authenticate users accessing your application(s), no matter they are defined in a single or several ADs (Identity Federation) located in the same network or not.

You will need to integrate Visual Guard with your PB app - add a couple libraries and instantiate its engine - and VG will do the rest - i.e. you don't have to write code to make your App SAML or oAuth compliant.

That works also with non-PB code (.Net, Java, Angular...).

Regards,
Christophe 
Comment
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.