1. shai hadashi
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Monday, 12 October 2020 21:48 PM UTC

Hello,

I am trying to troubleshoot a crash in our Application since our recent migration to PB 2019 (build 2082). Seem like it is taking place in the same area of the program and can be reproduced on the development machine. From windows event log it looks like it is crashing on  PBSHR190.dll and PBVM190.dll.  The following debug statements was collected using the /pbdebug flag. It is not consistent and fails at different intervals. Seem to be related to garbage collection which was never an issue in 32 bit. Last successful and stable build was with PB 12.6.3506.

Executing instruction at line 2586
Executing object function __DESTROY_OBJECT for class DWOBJECT, lib entry _TYPEDEF
Executing system dll function
End class function __DESTROY_OBJECT for class DWOBJECT, lib entry _TYPEDEF
Executing instruction at line 2587
End class function +DESTROY for class DWOBJECT, lib entry _TYPEDEF
End class function DATASTOREDESTROY for class DATASTORE, lib entry _TYPEDEF
Executing instruction at line 5054
Executing instruction at line 5055
End class function +DESTROY for class DATASTORE, lib entry _TYPEDEF
Executing object function +DESTROY for class DATASTORE, lib entry _TYPEDEF
Executing instruction at line 5054
Executing object function DATASTOREDESTROY for class DATASTORE, lib entry _TYPEDEF
Executing system dll function
Executing object function +DESTROY for class DWOBJECT, lib entry _TYPEDEF
Executing instruction at line 2586
Executing object function __DESTROY_OBJECT for class DWOBJECT, lib entry _TYPEDEF
Executing system dll function.

Thanks in advance,

Shai 

Accepted Answer
Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 14 October 2020 18:58 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # Permalink

Hi Shai;

Just an observation but, build 2082 is the first GA release pf PB 2019. The last MR for the GA release is build 2170 and that was released back in December of 2019. Also, PB2019 R2 was released in March of 2020 and the latest MR / build for the R2 release is 2353. These newer builds and MR's do have various fixes that might alleviate your basic DWO instantiation crash issue (very strange) that you are having. I just thought that I would mention this as a "food for thought" item to try.

Note: If you do upgrade .. please make sure that your PB run-time build exactly matches the PB build of the deployed run-time. A mismatch here can easily produce an unstable App execution in any PB version / PB App.

HTH

Regards ... Chris

Comment
  1. shai hadashi
  2. Thursday, 15 October 2020 13:01 PM UTC
Thanks Chris! That was the issue. I was building with Build 2082 while the DLL files got updated to Build 2353. Seems to be stable now!
  1. Helpful
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Thursday, 15 October 2020 15:44 PM UTC
Hi Shai ... that is "awesome" news!
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
Ken Guo @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 15 October 2020 07:51 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Hi Shai,

We take this crash issue very seriously. However, it is very hard for us to find out the root cause of it from the event or log you provided.

Could you please further locate which line of code is causing the crash via gradually commenting out a part of code?
It would be much helpful if you could provide a small reproducible case for us for further analysis.
If you can’t provide a small case for us, it is suggested you provide a machine that can reproduce it and with the remote connection tool installed (e.g., TeamViewer) for us so that we could remotely debug it.

BTW, to better track and handle this issue, please submit a bug to our support ticketing system (https://www.appeon.com/standardsupport/newbug). Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Ken

Comment
  1. shai hadashi
  2. Thursday, 15 October 2020 13:04 PM UTC
Hi Ken, please see my response to Chris Pollach above. Thank you!

Shai
  1. Helpful
Armeen Mazda @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Monday, 12 October 2020 23:56 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

When you compile to 64-bit there is laundry list of things you need to modify in your app to make it compatible for 64-bit.  It is very rare that a real-life complex app can simply recompile in 64-bit and work without changes.  I recommend you consider Olan's feedback as well as go through this 64-bit conversion Webinar carefully as well as the related documentation.  

If you find you keep running into issue after issue, trying to handle this through the Q&A is going to be difficult.  You may want to consider getting some consulting help from one of our consulting partners who is experienced how to do these conversions.

Comment
  1. shai hadashi
  2. Wednesday, 14 October 2020 12:50 PM UTC
The area in the program that is crashing has customize code that relies on data from many different tables. I don't see how I can reproduce that. It seems to fail on a datastore object assignment.

ids_header_select.dataobject = 'd_header_select'
  1. Helpful
  1. Armeen Mazda @Appeon
  2. Wednesday, 14 October 2020 14:43 PM UTC
Does it consistently crash on this DataStore object assignment?
  1. Helpful
  1. shai hadashi
  2. Wednesday, 14 October 2020 15:49 PM UTC
Thanks for following up Armeen. It is very much appreciated!

It seems like it crashes in that area of the code consistently. Sometimes it will crash on the Destroy object code at the end. I suspect it might be related to this line based on the Post I found below. I don't know why that would fail now in PB 2019.

https://community.appeon.com/index.php/qna/q-a/application-crashes-pb2019r2

1. Helpful
Olan Knight Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Monday, 12 October 2020 23:11 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 3

In the arena of "is it plugged in"....
Have you ensured that your handles are all LONGPTR variables?

Comment
  1. shai hadashi
  2. Wednesday, 14 October 2020 14:21 PM UTC
I changed all of the Win API calls to use LongPtr. That part wasn't failing even before the change. It still crashes.

1. Helpful
  1. Olan Knight
  2. Wednesday, 14 October 2020 19:32 PM UTC
At this point, I would sit down and watch Bruce Armstrong webinar on migrating to a 64 bit EXE, and take notes on items to check.

Once all of those items have been validated in your code, I'd start by commenting out chunks of apparently troublesome code. See it you can get the reduced code to at least compiled and run without crashing. Then you can UN-comment a block of code, repeat the test, and so on until you find out exactly what code is causing the crash.
  1. Helpful
  1. Olan Knight
  2. Wednesday, 14 October 2020 19:33 PM UTC
  1. Helpful
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.