1. Lawrence Anderson
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Thursday, 27 February 2020 20:26 PM UTC

I'm having an issue with my repository growing in size on Bitbucket. In the past 22 days it has grown from 1.2 GB to 1.5 GB on Bitbucket. I know I haven't made modifications on the order of 25% of the workspace, but that is my growth. My PBLs all combined are 490 MB ws_objects is 136 MB, and a few other files I include bring the total to 630 MB of actual size that is committed to Bitbucket. I understand that they're likely allocating some space to maintaining a change log. I am pushing frequent releases and "Upload PBLs" whenever I'm ready to do a release. I started recording the changes once I was warned I had exceed 1 GB and could only push up to a 2 GB limit

I would like to hear suggestions and get a better understanding of how to not grow my repo size so quickly. I can go to other solutions with more storage, but I'm afraid this growth will continue unchecked. Has anyone else experienced this or know a way to large growth.

Accepted Answer
Michael Kramer Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 28 February 2020 00:20 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # Permalink

Your PBL files are binary files. So they perform very badly when source control stores the delta between each committed version. Same goes with produced .PBD + .EXE files when you deploy an "EXE project".

So to keep repos small you should only push each PBL file once: When it is created/added to a PB target. An empty PBL takes up just 5 kB.

Whenever you pull = "get latest" from source control, you need to follow up with "Refresh" to import current source code from the ws_objects hierarchy into the PBL files.

HTH /Michael

Comment
  1. Lawrence Anderson
  2. Friday, 28 February 2020 14:30 PM UTC
Thanks. I had been committing only what was included with "Git commit" in the Powerbuilder IDE originally. I got a little freaked out when I attempted to clone from Bitbucket and the files seemed outdated. Sounds like I was just missing the "Refresh" step.
  1. Helpful
  1. Michael Kramer
  2. Friday, 28 February 2020 19:44 PM UTC
You're welcome!

Roland has a good routine with "bundling source + executables" for each release.(see Roland's reply below)

I know, maybe less suitable if you expect to release several times per day.
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
Roland Smith Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 28 February 2020 02:51 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

I recommend that upon each version release of the application, you create a zip file of the PBT/PBL/PBD/EXE files and store it in a version named folder on a network drive. Do not let your source control system take control of PBL/PBD/EXE files.

If you have a new developer, they can unzip the target to their local drive and then do a 'get latest' to refresh the individual objects that have changed since the version release.

Comment
There are no comments made yet.
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.