1. Sivaprakash BKR
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Thursday, 29 September 2022 08:21 AM UTC

Hello,

Migrated PB 11.5 application to PB 2019 R3.  Just compiled and deployed the app without any changes in the code.   Immediate response from the user(s) were that application performance is 'SLOW'.  

Tried with a  pb.ini with the following contents

[Data Window]
Accessibility=0

[DataStore Behavior]
UseHwnd=no

Still slow.   Since this is a legacy application, we could not switch the OS to newer one.  Current OS
Server -> Windows Server 2008 R2 / Windows Server 2012
Client(s) -> Windows 7 / Windows 10

Clients perform better than Server, still not matching the old performance.  PB 11.5 application performed better in Server.

What else I need to do for improving the performance, both in Hardware, Software and OS.

Happiness Always
BKR Sivaprakash

mike S Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 29 September 2022 15:04 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Get your users tell you exactly what is slow.  Getting vague 'it seems slow' complaints doesn't help you to help them.

why are you running it on a server?   do you mean you are you using terminal server or citrix to run it?

Did you put that pb.ini in the runtime directory where your application exe is installed?  (I'm sure you already did this, but i've seen some people think its

just done on the development machine).  Those pb.ini really only make it faster to close windows that have a huge amount of data/rows in a datawindow.

Did you change database drivers?

Do you have antivirus running?  If so, exclude your application.  It might be scanning everything that is sent to the database.

Comment
  1. mike S
  2. Friday, 30 September 2022 13:39 PM UTC
I believe that the xml file is looked at only if the exe directory doesn't have the dlls.
  1. Helpful
  1. Mark Goldsmith
  2. Friday, 30 September 2022 14:48 PM UTC
Correct.
  1. Helpful
  1. Sivaprakash BKR
  2. Saturday, 1 October 2022 08:04 AM UTC
Thanks mike, John, Mark.

Since we couldn't get a machine to test the performance at client place, it's taking more time than expected. We plan to find out the time taken for each command and compare the result [ between PB 11.5 & PB 2019 R3 app ].

Will come back once we complete this testing.

1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
Armeen Mazda @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 29 September 2022 14:39 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

Can you try PB 2022 as test to see if it improves things?

Comment
  1. Sivaprakash BKR
  2. Saturday, 1 October 2022 08:06 AM UTC
Thanks Armeen,

Can we test PB 2022 app in Win 7? I think Win 7 is discontinued.

1. Helpful
  1. Armeen Mazda @Appeon
  2. Saturday, 1 October 2022 13:43 PM UTC
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.