1. Sivaprakash BKR
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Tuesday, 3 August 2021 13:45 PM UTC

Hello,

Is Mobile development planned in PB 2022, along with HTML UI?  I don't remember seeing this earlier.

Roland Smith Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Tuesday, 3 August 2021 14:14 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

All of the points are lacking in detail so that we have no idea what they are talking about.

Will standard PB desktop apps be able to have the UI written with HTML and related technology or is this somehow related to C# conversion?

Comment
There are no comments made yet.
Armeen Mazda @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Tuesday, 3 August 2021 15:40 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

All of those features are listed under SnapDevelop not PowerBuilder.  Our plan for UI is to support developing HTML and ReactNative.  For the server-side, it is basically unchanged from today except in addition to C# we are supporting Node.JS.  But one advantage of using C# over Node.JS is that you can use non-visual DataWindow features.  Just to clarify, this is all new development and no conversion of any existing PB code.

Comment
Marco Meoni Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Tuesday, 3 August 2021 16:27 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 3

Hi Armeen,
regarding UI, "support developing HTML and ReactNative" is still generic.

What kind of support is Appeon thinking about?

First, "support" may relate to an IDE.

VS Code already provides a great dev environment for React Native. What Snap (PB?) would offer more?

Second, UI coding.

During Elevate 2020 I showed how relatively quick is to build attractive web/mobile UI calling Snap REST API. There exist many mobile app frameworks out there and I just picked up one.

To PB developers, the simpler the better. PowerServer Mobile (and also PocketBuilder) gave us a limited yet unique way to mobify PB code. It will be interesting to understand what learning curve is expected from the "new development and no conversion of any existing PB code", and what the result will be: generation of some UI components (e.g. html DW), to embed in a larger project, or a fully-fledged dev/deployment env?

Thanks,

.m

Comment
  1. Armeen Mazda @Appeon
  2. Tuesday, 3 August 2021 17:19 PM UTC
Hi Marco, Our goal for 2022 version of SnapDevelop would be to be on par with VS Code for UI coding. But on C# side/REST API side I think SnapDevelop offers more than VS Code. And it might be nice to use a single tool to do everything than jump back n' forth.
  1. Helpful
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.