1. Sverre Tvedt
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Friday, 11 August 2023 09:29 AM UTC

We are going from 2022.0.0.1892 (A)  to 2022.1.0.2819 (B)

I am a bit confused about  runtime version setting on system options  level vs. runtime version setting on project level.

After upgrade I can compile the combinations B/A and B/B  but not A/A. The latter releases a cycling error message relating to DB connections, which forces hundreds of response clicks to get through without crashing the workspace.

Now B/A will be fine if the deployed EXE and PBD files then become compatible with the existing client work stations which all have runtime components from the previous version (A). Is this correctly understood?

I should add that we normally push exe/pbd files to a fileserver available to the clients for each build of our applications, while the bulk of the runtime components are copied to each client once/twice a year as we upgrade from one version of PB to the next.  I want to postpone this latter operation in the hope that the B/A (or should it be A/A?) combination on the developer stations will be compatible with the existing client runtime components(A).

Accepted Answer
Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 11 August 2023 11:16 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # Permalink

Hi Sverre;

Do you have separate projects for a 1892 release of the App vs build 2819?

FWIW: I keep apps like this on my system in separate folders. For example PB2022 main folder vs a PB2022R2 parent folder. Thus, swapping between A/A in different folders works perfectly build wise. Food for thought.

Regards ... Chris 

Comment
There are no comments made yet.
Sverre Tvedt Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 11 August 2023 11:36 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Seperate projects, no problems.

The question is: will a project generating exe/pbd-files with system option 2819 and project setting 1892 be able to be run on a client machine with pre-existing runtime 1892?  I assume that i cannnot use new features like tabbed MDI window since this is supported by a new runtime component unique to 2819.

Comment
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Friday, 11 August 2023 12:17 PM UTC
An excellent approach IMHO! :-)
  1. Helpful
  1. Sverre Tvedt
  2. Monday, 14 August 2023 21:25 PM UTC
It should be added that the .NET 6 upgrade for ADO.NET is forced in R2. This explains why the combination referred to as A/A above does not work. The new DB connectivity runtime files, replacing the old Sybase era components, has to be made available to the clients. This can be done by putting them together with the main executable on our fileservers, without changing anything on client computers.
  1. Helpful
  1. Sverre Tvedt
  2. Sunday, 20 August 2023 17:37 PM UTC
Attempt to upgrade given up. Reverted to plain 2022, waiting for a more robust MR relase of R2.
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.