1. Vignesh Ramkumar
  2. PowerServer
  3. Thursday, 23 February 2023 05:50 AM UTC

Hi,

We have successfully migrated the PowerBuilder application to Powerserver 2021 version. Now we need to package and deploy to the client (end users machine). For that we did the code signing of both cloud app launcher and pb.exe. Here the issue comes. when we deploy that in out test VM the apps getting installed in c:\Users folders under appdata --> PB Apps 

But we are trying to push the could app launcher thru windows group policy and our automation team reject our request because as per policy the application which is  installing out side the Program Files or Program Files (x86) can't be done through automation. The reason why we want to make this windows group policy automation process is. The end users doesn't have admin rights or any sort of rights to install the exe manually(so we decided to go with automation process)

Now my question is how we can change the installation path of cloud app launcher to program files in c:\

Thanks

Vignesh

Vignesh Ramkumar Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 1 March 2023 09:20 AM UTC
  2. PowerServer
  3. # 1

Hi Armeen Mazda @Appeon.

Is there anyway for ps2021 cloud app launcher and my exe can install under program files folder, Because as per our org policy all the installable should be under program files (which we plan to push through windows policy) 

Comment
  1. Armeen Mazda @Appeon
  2. Thursday, 2 March 2023 04:19 AM UTC
As I explained, you need to upgrade to PS 2022. The older version you are using doesn’t support configuring the installation path.
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
Armeen Mazda @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 24 February 2023 03:28 AM UTC
  2. PowerServer
  3. # 2

PowerServer 2022 supports configuring the location where the Cloud App Launcher is installed, but PowerServer 2021 does not.  If you upgrade to newer version of PowerServer then you can do this.

Also, please note that installation of Cloud App Launcher usually should not require admin rights if you install the "Launcher without background service" option.  So when creating your customized Cloud App Launcher make sure to NOT select the checkbox for the one with service/multiple users.

Comment
  1. Miguel Leeuwe
  2. Thursday, 2 March 2023 04:51 AM UTC
Hi,

I find this screen a bit confusing. There's one checkbox saying "without background service" while at the same time you can also select "with background service". Could this not have clearer labeling? So if you check both, which one is it?

regards.
  1. Helpful
  1. mike S
  2. Thursday, 2 March 2023 05:43 AM UTC
Miguel,

PS 2022 (launcher version 22.0.0.1892) does not look like that.
  1. Helpful
  1. Armeen Mazda @Appeon
  2. Thursday, 2 March 2023 15:10 PM UTC
When you check both you get both installed to the server. Which one a particular app uses from the two options available on the server is done in the project object on app-specific basis. Anyway, as Mike said we have changed it in PS 2022 to simplify things.
  1. Helpful
Marco Meoni Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 23 February 2023 08:29 AM UTC
  2. PowerServer
  3. # 3

Hi Vignesh,

I'd configure CloudApp with "multiple users" installation option.

This way it will be installed (via group policy) under c:\Program files\Appeon\CloudAppLauncherService and start CloudAppService process, which runs as system user.

CloudAppService will start CloudAppLauncher as normal user (one instance per user under %appdata%\local) and, in turn, the app client from %appdata%\pbapps.

HTH,

.m

Comment
  1. Vignesh Ramkumar
  2. Thursday, 23 February 2023 09:41 AM UTC
So do i need to specify the path "c:\Program files\Appeon\CloudAppLauncherService" in the App path field after i select Multiple users option?
  1. Helpful
  1. Marco Meoni
  2. Thursday, 23 February 2023 10:04 AM UTC
Hello,

no, you don't, that path is for the client (EXE) of your app.

Best,

.m
  1. Helpful
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.