1. Tomas Beran
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Monday, 23 May 2022 11:30 AM UTC

Hi

Can I suppress Powerclient Error 3010 (the folder is locked)? Expected behavior would be simply start the old version of the application (especially if the app version is marked as compatible).

The reason is: An user has an app already running and he simply wants to start another one. In case there's a new version on the server this is not possible.

Another scenario: The computer is shared between users and the app folder is locked by the second user.

Thank you

Tomas Beran Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Monday, 13 June 2022 15:47 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Hi Kai

You wrote: "First of all, application upgrade requires terminating the currently running instances and making sure no other process is using the application directory or files. "

- I absolutely understand it. I understand the reason. The only issue is the error message itself. So my question is: Would it be possible:

1. Start the already downloaded (and running) application instead of showing this error

2. Don't offer "Update" if the application is locked

3. Allow custom modification of the message because this is too cryptic for users

?

I think Powerclient is a great deployment strategy but this error is a serious killer.

Is there a PowerClient wishlist thread somewhere? If so then I will write it there because these are small changes which can improve user experience dramatically.

Comment
  1. Kai Zhao @Appeon
  2. Tuesday, 14 June 2022 05:22 AM UTC
Hi Tomas,

Sorry that there is no way to manage the message and update yourself currently. Please consider using the solutions I suggested to work it around for the time being.

There is no special PowerClient wishlist thread session, but you can raise your requirement in Community or open a ticket in the support portal below. We will record your requirements and transfer them to the related team.

https://www.appeon.com/standardsupport/

Based on your scenario, I would suggest adding the of_checkupdate/of_applyupdate function to check/apply the update. I will record this as a new enhancement/requirement request and will transfer it to our product team for consideration.

Regards,Kai

1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
Kai Zhao @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Tuesday, 24 May 2022 02:18 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

Hi Tomas,

When a new version is available, starting the application will pop up the 'Upgrade app' message as attached. If you click 'Yes', it will try to update application files and get the 3010 error because the application file has been locked for the app already running; you can click 'No' to start the application so it will not try to upgrade the application and you will not get the 3010 error.

For the multi-user scenario, the default application directory is %appdata%\PBApps. Each user has their own application directory so you don’t need to worry about this.

Regards,
Kai

Attachments (1)
Comment
  1. Tomas Beran
  2. Tuesday, 24 May 2022 09:15 AM UTC
Hi Kai

"When a new version is available, starting the application will pop up the 'Upgrade app' message as attached."

- When I do a bugfix I don't increase the version number. So the app doesn't show this message. Is it possible to simply disable 3010?

For the multi-user scenario, the default application directory is %appdata%\PBApps.

- Unfortunately I can't use it. I have to install to ProgramData because if I install the app to user profile then OCX, DB driver and other DLLs are registered to the current user and another user (without admin rights) fails because these objects are inaccessible to him.

- Another issue with %appdata% I'm afraid of is that %appdata% ends in roaming profile. In case an user have roaming turned in then he will migrate the whole application through the AD roaming strategy.
  1. Helpful
  1. Kai Zhao @Appeon
  2. Wednesday, 25 May 2022 08:10 AM UTC
Hi Tomas,

First of all, application upgrade requires terminating the currently running instances and making sure no other process is using the application directory or files.

Secondly, if you don’t increase the deployment version number, the application will force the update without any notification or message.

If your application needs upgrading online, I suggest you increase the deployment version number every time you deploy the application so the users can choose to run the older version. You can also set the available time for the new version as needed.

If you don’t want to increase the deployment version number, you can try the following solutions:

#1 Manually notify all users and stop the server for updating. After the server files are updated, if the end users have a multi-instance running, they need to close all instances first, and then start the application to avoid the problem of file locking.

#2 Use a separate web root name as the web server path to deploy the updated application. And then notify the users to use the new URL.

Regards,Kai

1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.