1. Joe Hess
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Monday, 3 April 2023 16:16 PM UTC

Hi,

I'm trying to move our application from PB2021 to PB2022. PowerClient updates worked great in PB2021. However, I cannot get updates to work in PB2022. When the user launches the application, the most recent version is not downloaded even though I have the minimum version set to the latest version.

I attached images of the DeployList.ini file and Client Deployment configuration page for the project. 

2022 IDE build is 1892. 2021 IDE build is 1506. The problem occurs on Windows 10 and 11.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Joe Hess

Attachments (2)
Accepted Answer
Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 5 April 2023 17:32 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # Permalink
Hi Joe; This might be related to another ticket for PC Apps not updating. It's ticket # 9978. This ticket is private but has similar issues to what you describe. Engineering gave that customer a "hot fix" DLL and that remedied their PC update blockage.. My suggestion would be to open a ticket for this problem and if you like reference ticket 9978 as a "maybe related" as suggested by me. After analyzing, if Engineering thinks that it's the same problem, they probably will offer you the same hot fix. That HF BTW will be included in PB 2022 R2. HTH Regards ... Chris
Comment
There are no comments made yet.
Joe Hess Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 5 April 2023 17:31 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

I received an updated DLL from Appeon. The app now updates to the new version. However, it does behave differently than 2021. When I set the minimum version to be the same as the latest version, the app would automatically update in 2021. With the patch, I receive a prompt to update, but I can still opt out.

Thanks to everyone that helped out,

Joe

Comment
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Wednesday, 5 April 2023 18:26 PM UTC
Hi Joe;

Thank for that great news - that's awesome! :-)

I would like to suggest however that you further update your open ticket and mention the change in update behaviour.

I noticed the same change on my test machines before and mentioned to Engineering that once you opt out, it no longer prompts you to update that App version any longer either. I wonder if we need to update Engineering to consider "tweaking" that behaviour as well?

Many thanks in advance!

Regards ... Chris
  1. Helpful
  1. Joe Hess
  2. Wednesday, 5 April 2023 18:30 PM UTC
Chris, I included the difference I saw when I responded to Kai. Is that sufficient, or do I need to do something else?
  1. Helpful
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Wednesday, 5 April 2023 19:36 PM UTC
Hi Joe.

I just checked your ticket reply and I see that Appeon has not replied to your question about that yet. I am CC'ed on your ticket, so I'll keep a look out for their response too.

Regards ,.. Chris
  1. Helpful
Joe Hess Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Tuesday, 4 April 2023 19:00 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

Hi, Armeen.

Thanks for the response.

Yes, the cloud app launcher for 2022 has been uploaded. Our app has been migrated to 2022. The web server started out clean, so there is nothing related to 2021 on the server. I tried uninstalling the PowerClient entirely and re-published the new version. It still will not update.

The update strategy is set to update when connected. I also have it set to download all the files instead at startup instead of as needed. 

I uninstalled Cloud App Launcher 2022. I entered the startup URL into my browser. The CAL downloaded. I installed it. The application did not update.

I don't think it matters, but we have the PowerServer client and server on the same web server.

Joe

Comment
  1. Armeen Mazda @Appeon
  2. Tuesday, 4 April 2023 19:03 PM UTC
Just as another troubleshooting step, please set the update strategy to "always update" and redeploy the app to the Web server. Please let us know if this makes any difference?
  1. Helpful
  1. Joe Hess
  2. Tuesday, 4 April 2023 19:54 PM UTC
I changed the update strategy. No change.

What is compared locally to the deploy list information?
  1. Helpful
  1. Joe Hess
  2. Tuesday, 4 April 2023 20:43 PM UTC
Thanks. Chris. I submitted a ticket. I'll keep this open for a while to see if I get a resolution. If so, I'll add a reply.
  1. Helpful
Armeen Mazda @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Monday, 3 April 2023 16:57 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 3

Have you uploaded to the Web server the new Cloud App Launcher of PB 2022 as well as your app recompiled with PB 2022?

What is your configuration for the "update strategy"?  Is it set to always update, update when connected, or never update?  If never update, that is the problem.  If update when connected, make sure the user has network connectivity to the IIS3 Web server otherwise it wont' update.

As a troubleshooting step, I would suggest deleting from the Web server all the 2021 versions of the Cloud App Launcher and the PB app so you make sure the only thing existing on the Web server is the new app then have your users try to start the app again to see if it updates now.  If it still doesn't update, just as a test have 1 single user uninstall the Cloud App Launcher and the PB app from their machine and try to go through the process of getting the app loaded again 2022 version to see if they can successfully pull it down to clean machine.

Comment
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.