1. Gerry Whitmarsh
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Sunday, 1 October 2017 08:43 AM UTC

I have just installed the maintenance release build 1681, my main issue being the native PDF quality. The quality, I am happy to say, is now excellent, but.. At the moment, I create PDFs using the PDFCreator (version 1.7) API which works perfectly. The problem being my application needs v 1.7 to be installed per user and mustn’t be updated as v 2 breaks the app. A typical PDF is rather image heavy (up to 40 photos over several pages) and PDFCreator creates a 2.5MB PDF which is acceptable. Now, using the native PDF option, creating one pdf per page and merging with pdftk toolkit, the resulting PDF is a whopping 30MB!

Is there some kind of setting whereby I could adjust quality vs size?

Julie Jiang @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Tuesday, 10 October 2017 09:25 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Hi Gerry, 

Our Native PDF feature does not support "merge PDF" functionality yet.  When PDFtk toolkit merges the PDF files for you, the resulting 30MB is the sum of the sizes of all the individual PDFs, right?  Is it possible for you to adjust the PB source code so that NativePDF can generate the PDF file for several pages at one time?

Best regards, Julie

Comment
There are no comments made yet.
Gerry Whitmarsh Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Monday, 2 October 2017 12:54 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

Maybe it is because I have to combine 9 separate PDFs into one with pdftk that the result is so large. If Powerbuilder could add an "append" option to saveas, then maybe the size could be reduced. 30MB is unacceptable as it has to be sent via Email.

Comment
  1. Roland Smith
  2. Tuesday, 3 October 2017 13:01 PM UTC
You could save the PDF to your webserver and use a hyperlink in the email. The only question is how long to keep it available.

1. Helpful
  1. Gerry Whitmarsh
  2. Tuesday, 3 October 2017 13:24 PM UTC
Hi, Ronald

It looks like that is the way we are going to go, only the PDF will not be created by Powerbuilder(me) but by our web guru.

1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.