1. Uwe Schwan
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Tuesday, 15 November 2022 08:30 AM UTC

Hi,

does PowerBuilder 2022 run on Windows 11 ARM.

We use a MacBook Pro M1 with Parallels and Windows 11 ARM.

BR

Uwe

Chris Lerwill Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 6 July 2023 21:43 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Offering this comment as an FYI...

I was able to get PowerBuilder 2022 R2 BETA to run in Windows 11 Parallels VM on a MacBook Pro with an M2 chip.  To accomplish this, I had to set the "Platform" dropdown in the "PowerBar1" toolbar to "x64"...something I have never had to do in the past. 

I accidentally stumbled on this while attempting to debug why Kernel32.dll calls would not work.  When the "Platform" dropdown is set to "x86" my application was behaving as though it didn't know how to find Kernel32.dll...but, code with calls to that DLL's functions would compile just fine.  In my case, once I changed the "Platform" setting to "x64" all of that started working just fine (see my WARNING below).

The PowerBuilder IDE (generally speaking) appears to have few issues running in Windows 11 ARM.  The "about" dialog doesn't work but that is the only feature I found that doesn't work.

I compile my applications using Ecrane's PowerGen...and that appears to work just fine in Windows 11 ARM.

WARNING:  I found 32-bit DLLs called by the application likely will not work.  In my case, a specific DLL is FUNCky32.dll...but, I was able to eliminate a call to that DLL by using PFC functionality.  I suspect I'll find other DLLs that will be a problem because they may not have a 64-bit version.

Another Option that Worked for Me...

Because my initial attempt to get my PowerBuilder application to run in Windows 11 ARM failed, I explored other options.  One that worked for me (although performance is noticeably slower) is creating a VM in an application called UTM.  I created a VM using the Windows 10 x64 ISO and through trial and error determined how to configure the hardware emulation in that VM to enable PowerBuilder (and my application) to work. 

As a developer this is an acceptable option because when we make builds we use a "build" machine (which is an Intel-based Windows 2016 server).

Comment
  1. Armeen Mazda @Appeon
  2. Saturday, 8 July 2023 19:33 PM UTC
Fantastic info...thanks for sharing!
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
Armeen Mazda @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 16 November 2022 15:55 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

One option is to install PB on a Windows machine with Intel processor and use remote desktop to access.  We have quite a few customers who do this, but usually there reason is for security not to workaround Mac processor compatibility issue.

Comment
  1. Uwe Schwan
  2. Wednesday, 16 November 2022 16:26 PM UTC
I also develop on a DELL XPS 15 with Windows 10 with PB, SnapDevelop and SQL Anywhere. I still use the Mac for cross-platform development with Flutter and it's much faster then on the windows system. But i also use Windows Server VM's for testing and they don't run on mac M1/M2. It's more a Apple Silicon problem the a PB problem. So I have to maintain two systems ?. BR

1. Helpful
  1. Armeen Mazda @Appeon
  2. Wednesday, 16 November 2022 16:39 PM UTC
Unfortunately, the new processors Apple switched to are different and PB doesn't support it. Exactly, what problem you will run into I can't say because we don't test that environment. So yes, it would be best you install PB to a separate system.
  1. Helpful
  1. Arthur Hefti
  2. Friday, 18 November 2022 10:58 AM UTC
The problem is that is not only related to PB IDE but to the applications we create and deploy. As Apple stops producing Macs with Intel processors for users it's not possible anymore to run an PB application on a VM on the Mac. This means they have either to stop using a Mac (unlikely) or to replace our software or move to a hosted solution whet e.g. in terms of PowerServer won't make any sense.
  1. Helpful 2
Uwe Schwan Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 16 November 2022 13:20 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 3

Hi,

but i think that they won't change anything to be compatible to Windows on ARM.

I hope Parallels will improve in furhter versions to support x86/x64 systems.

BR

Uwe

Comment
Arthur Hefti Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Tuesday, 15 November 2022 09:49 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 4

Hi 

Up to Version 10.0.22000.588. After this you might get errors opening PB. Running a PB application wont work either. I opened a ticket for this quite some time ago. 

Quite a pitty as PB is the only software I use that causes problems on Windows on ARM.

Regards
Arthur

Comment
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.