1. Paniraj Nagaraj
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Tuesday, 11 February 2020 19:47 PM UTC

Hi,

We are using PB 6.5 version, which uses ntwdblib.dll for DB connection, We are suing SQL server 2008 R2. recently TLS1.0 on the SQL server is disabled. Which result in we are not able to access DB from PB. Everytime when application is try to open the connection. it throw the error, Server not found for (DB server).

However same DB can be access from same system using SSMS or .Net applications. 

Kindly assist, how can we overcome with this issue, we are running into a big issue now.

THanks,

Pani 

Michael Kramer Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Tuesday, 11 February 2020 20:31 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

PB 6.5 end-of-life'd in 2001 while .NET 1.0 released in 2002!
Any .NET code therefore has high chance of supporting newer protocols that PB 6.5.

What alternative to TLS 1.0 are you required to use? -- 1.1 or 1.2?

PB 6.5 probably has difficulty using any protocol released after end-of-life. If newer protocol is culprit in your case there is high chance that ODBC can help you just like Roland suggests. Locally PB just concepts to ODBC source. It is the DB driver in ODBC that does the heavy lifting of encrypted network traffic.

In any case I would highly recommend upgrade since you run software without any security patches for 20+ years. That is a definite high risk.

HTH /Michael

Comment
  1. Michael Kramer
  2. Thursday, 13 February 2020 16:57 PM UTC
ODBC interface for SQL Server has network protocol options. When I try to create new ODBC profile using the "SQL Server" ODBC driver for Windows 10 (v. 10.0.19041.1) I can select client option which leads to selection of TCP/IP vs. Named Pipes. Those custom settings may be inaccessible from the client app (here PB IDE or PB app) but the ODBC Profile itself has options to select and customize server connectivity.
  1. Helpful
  1. Paniraj Nagaraj
  2. Thursday, 13 February 2020 19:00 PM UTC
HI Michael,

Thanks for your patience with me.

I have tried to connect using Sql Server by selecting client as TCP/IP. However I am getting error, any thoughts.

Connection failed

SQLState: '01000

SQL Server Error: 772

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Drive][TCP/IP Sockets]ConectionOpen(SECDoClientHandShake())

Connection Failed

SQLState: '08001'

SQL Server Error: 18

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][TCP/IP Sockets]SSL Security Error

1. Helpful
  1. Michael Kramer
  2. Thursday, 13 February 2020 21:27 PM UTC
Your ODBC profile most test successfully via Windows' ODBC Setup before attempting connect from PB.

From PB's SQLCA setup you should remove all settings only relating to your prior DBMS driver.

If your ODBC profile fails, you should check in Microsoft forums, because MS ODBC client to MS SQL Server is MS SQL realm; not PowerBuilder where my core competency lies.

I found this thread searching for keywords in your error description. It may point you in the right direction >>> https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/6e959113-e1a0-4a3f-a13a-27f42c225970/not-able-to-connect-to-sql-server-ssl-security-error?forum=sqldataaccess
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
Roland Smith Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Tuesday, 11 February 2020 19:58 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

You could try changing to an ODBC profile connection.

You really should migrate your application to PowerBuilder 2019.

Comment
  1. Paniraj Nagaraj
  2. Tuesday, 11 February 2020 20:12 PM UTC
Hi Roland thanks for your quick reply.

I forgot to mention, issue occurring while connection from DEV machine to DEV DB. We don't have any issue with QA or Prod. Even with disable of TLS 1.0 everything working on QA and Prod.

Also I am on VPN to connect to DEV DB. Since it is not in our local. Any thoughts greatly appreciated.
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.