1. James Levin
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Tuesday, 11 October 2022 17:49 PM UTC

Has anyone updated to PowerBuilder 2022 using PVCS (8.6.3) for source control?  

We've used PB 2021 and PVCS for the past 6 months without issue. 

We're testing the waters for PowerBuilder 2022 and the conversion was fine...Then we tied in PVCS to the workspace and PB 2022 crashes hard.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?  

We 'd rather not update to GIT or SVN at this time. 

Thank you,

Jim 

Accepted Answer
James Levin Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 30 November 2022 21:33 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # Permalink

PB MR - 1892 - fixed this issue. 

Comment
  1. Armeen Mazda @Appeon
  2. Wednesday, 30 November 2022 22:08 PM UTC
Thanks for sharing the solution!
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
Olan Knight Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 27 October 2022 18:58 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Just FYI:  We used PVCS for nearly 15 years, even after it went out of service. It's a great tool.

Sadly, around the time we implemented PBv12.0 we started experiencing random issues with the product. After a while, it just was not worth fooling with and with great sadness we abandoned PVCS.

The info about it being written in Java and requiring Java in the IDE makes a great deal of sense. I certainly hope that you can revive or restore the functionality of PVCS. Good luck!

Comment
  1. James Levin
  2. Thursday, 27 October 2022 19:03 PM UTC
Thank you, but I think it's time to move forward. Which means more work to rebuild our deployment process.... more fun.
  1. Helpful
  1. Olan Knight
  2. Thursday, 27 October 2022 20:52 PM UTC
You are probably right. Sadness.
  1. Helpful
  1. James Levin
  2. Friday, 28 October 2022 11:43 AM UTC
I just received an email from the folks at Appeon. The Log All Activity being checked is causing the failure. I deleted the registry setting and rebuilt the workspace source control setting without Log All Activity (unchecked) and we seem to be back in business.
  1. Helpful 1
Gary Privette Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 27 October 2022 18:29 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

Hello Jim,

We are in the process of upgrading from PB 2017 to PB 2022 and we use PVCS 8.5.3.  I am not having any issues with this version of PVCS.  With PB 2017 we had to use the JavaVM entry in the pb.ini files, but I have not had to do this with PB 2022.  If there is anything I can do to look at our configuration for you, I would be glad to do that.  I had seen your post before I tried to connect to PVCS and was wary, but so far it seems to be working.

-Gary

Comment
James Levin Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 12 October 2022 18:26 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 3

Chris,

Yes, we do have the Java setting in pb.INI files both in local data and pb dir.  I've tested PB2022 with and without the Java setting and both fail.

We've used this setting for a while now, and currently our PB 2021 connects just fine with PVCS using the JavaVM setting.

Thank you,

Jim 

... our ini setting

[JavaVM]
CreateJavaVM=0

Comment
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Wednesday, 12 October 2022 18:34 PM UTC
HI Jim ;

Hmmm ... now that I think more about it - your PVCS issue could be related to removing Java altogether from PB2022. The PVCS interface might still require that in order to function. Especially, since a lot of PVCS is written in Java ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PVCS

Just a thought.

Regards ... Chris
  1. Helpful 1
  1. James Levin
  2. Wednesday, 12 October 2022 18:52 PM UTC
Very interesting thought.

Thank you
  1. Helpful
Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 12 October 2022 17:52 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 4

Hi James;

Have you tried adding the following to the "Working" PB IDE's INI file ...

; Disable the JVM if SCM connection problems exist
[JavaVM]
CreateJavaVM=0

HTH

Regards ... Chris

Comment
  1. James Levin
  2. Friday, 28 October 2022 11:43 AM UTC
I just received an email from the folks at Appeon. The Log All Activity being checked is causing the failure. I deleted the registry setting and rebuilt the workspace source control setting without Log All Activity (unchecked) and we seem to be back in business.
  1. Helpful 1
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.