1. galina buslovich
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Tuesday, 30 August 2022 22:10 PM UTC

We are in the process of migration from PB09 to PB21.

PB09 app is using .ini with following :

DBMS=MSS Microsoft SQL Server 2016

ServerName=XXXXXXX
Database=DDDDD
DBParm=Secure=1
AutoCommit=true

UserID=USER
Password=USER

How do I need to change app ini for PB21?

which driver, dbms etc. should we use?

Accepted Answer
Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Tuesday, 30 August 2022 22:28 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # Permalink

Hi Galina;

The MSS driver has been EOL for over 1.5 decades now. For newer PB versions from Appeon, I would recommend trying the latest SS db client driver MSO.

Sqlca.dbms = "mso"

Regards ... Chris 

Comment
There are no comments made yet.
Louis Arena Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 31 August 2022 15:27 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Today I cannot open the tables view in PB21.  The reason, somehow some update installed version 19 on my computer.  If anyone starts to experience weirdness while working in the database view check for that.  I thought my drivers were corrupt and tried to reinstall version 18.  Was told a newer version existed.  Now going through the process of removing 19 to reinstall 18.  

Comment
John Fauss Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Tuesday, 30 August 2022 23:38 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

Hi, Galina -

Make sure you do NOT try to use the current MSOLEDBSQL client from Microsoft (version 19), as this version of the MSO client does not work with PB and will not be supported until PB 2022. Instead, use version 18.6.3:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/connect/oledb/release-notes-for-oledb-driver-for-sql-server?view=sql-server-ver16#previous-releases

Also important: You want the 32-bit (x86) installation in order to be able to use the MSO client from within the PB IDE. Only if you will be deploying your PB application(s) as 64-bit do you want to (also) install the 64-bit version.

When deploying the MSO client along with your PB app, please know that you must use the Microsoft-supplied msi to perform the installation... simply copying the MSO-related files will not be successful.

There is a way to perform the MSO installation silently, documented here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/connect/oledb/applications/installing-oledb-driver-for-sql-server?view=sql-server-ver16

Good luck!

Comment
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.