1. ZARIR KAPADIA
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Wednesday, 20 April 2022 20:30 PM UTC

Hi,

We are Migrating to PB2021. For source control, we have TFS and we use MSSCCI to connect to PB. Now when I check in for the first time, one example mentioned below:

PBL had 50-60 object.

Clicked Add to Source Control. Put in comments and the pressed OK.

Only 25 objects got checked-in. Then got an error "Parameter is not valid". Other objects are in checked-out status.

If I try those checked-out objects to check-in, it gives the same error the very first time, so nothing got checked-in.

I close PB and open again and try to check-in, it will again let me check-in 24 objects and then same error.

I am attaching screen-shots but seems like there is a bug which limits check-in. We don't check-out and check-in so many objects at the same time but Initial check-in will have more objects at the same time.

Please kindly suggest a solution.

Thanks.

Zarir Kapadia

Palm Beach County - ISS

Attachments (1)
ZARIR KAPADIA Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 28 April 2022 14:03 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

This is how I resolved the problem:

Uninstalled MSSCCI & Visual Studio Team Manager 2013

Install "Visual Studio Team Explorer 2010"

Install "Visual Studio Team Foundation Server MSSCCI Provider.msi" (which is for VS 2010)

Problem is with Team Manager 2013 & MSSCCI 2013 & 2015, it's giving "parameter is not valid" error. I tried in multiple machines with 2013 and same problem. 2010 version worked.

Thanks.

Comment
  1. Miguel Leeuwe
  2. Thursday, 28 April 2022 14:07 PM UTC
Thanks for sharing your solution!

regards
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
  1. Thursday, 21 April 2022 17:08 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

Thanks did the change to PB.INI in C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Local\Appeon\PowerBuilder 21.0 directory.

Fresh PB 2021 started. 

Add to Source Control from left side of Library (right click on PBL). It added objects to TFS (were surely more than 60). But it did not check-in the PBG. There is another popup which comes to ADD PBG which did not come. Had to manually check-in PBG from TFS.

Continue with Same Session and tried added another PBL. Gave the same error "Parameter is not valid" but added all to TFS but not checked-in. Had to close PB and start again to check-in from PB. It's checked-in all objects but still left PBG checked-out. No second window for PBG which was coming in earlier versions.

Now the problem is 2nd time during the same session it doesn't work and PBG check-in not working.

Thanks.

Zarir

Comment
  1. Roland Smith
  2. Thursday, 21 April 2022 18:53 PM UTC
The PowerBuilder GIT & SVN feature doesn't use PBG files. Those are only for SCC API based source control providers.
  1. Helpful
Roland Smith Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 21 April 2022 15:16 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 3

The TFS Server can use a traditional TFS repository or a GIT repository. If TFS is using GIT, you should be able to connect to it using the PB IDE built in GIT functionality and stop using the TFS MSSCC interface. Microsoft hasn't updated it since 2013 so I'm sure there are plenty of bugs and quirks.

Your TFS admin can convert the repository to GIT if you want to go that route.

Comment
  1. Thursday, 21 April 2022 14:57 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 4

Did not help. Still behaving the same way.

Changed PB.INI as requested. 

Also wanted to add you check-in only 1 object, the next object it will give "Parameter is not valid" and will not check-in. Need to close PB and reopen for the object to be checked-in

Comment
  1. Ronnie Po
  2. Thursday, 21 April 2022 16:41 PM UTC
There are usually multiple copies of pb.ini installed. Be sure to edit the one in

\Users\<user name>\AppData\Local\Appeon\PowerBuilder 21.0\

1. Helpful
  1. Thursday, 21 April 2022 13:50 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 5

You can override the 25 limit by adding the following to pb.ini

[Library]
SccMaxArraySize=999

Comment
  1. Thursday, 21 April 2022 13:30 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 6

Yes. First call works the second call fails. 

Add to source control (60 objects in that PBL)

From right side of library painter, it add's all of them but checks in only first 25. All other remaining objects are show as checked-out. In TFS also all 60 are visible but only 25 checked-in. Going forward, you have to exit PB and come back in and do the remaining check-in's and it will again do next 25 only.

This is how it's working now.

If I try to check-in those objects from TFS directly, it doesn't find the srd files from my local.

From the left side of library painter, it adds all but doesn't check-in any objects. Not even 25.

Thanks.

Zarir

Comment
  1. Thursday, 21 April 2022 13:17 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 7

By default the PB IDE submits SCC transactions 25 at a time. I think that the first call is working and then the second call fails.

Comment
  1. Thursday, 21 April 2022 13:12 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 8

Hi MiguelL,

Our TFS Server is on premises. Our TFS server is used for .NET development too. Majority of our development is in .NET so moving to GIT is not possible. Seems like PB process maintains an array which has limitation of 23-25 check-in. After that it doesn't work and you have to restart PowerBuilder to do another set. Also what I have seen is when adding for the first time, there is a second screen which opens from TFS side to check-in PBG, that's not happening. PBG is present on TFS server with all objects but not getting checked-in.

Thanks.

Zarir 

Comment
  1. Miguel Leeuwe
  2. Thursday, 21 April 2022 17:28 PM UTC
which versions are you using for TFS server? Maybe it's too new and no longer supports the MSSCCI.
  1. Helpful
  1. ZARIR KAPADIA
  2. Thursday, 21 April 2022 17:38 PM UTC
TFS server 2013.

Pls note we are moving from PB 2017 R3 Build 1888 to PB2021 Build 1506. Same machine installed PB 2021.

PB 2017 works fine, PB2021 doesn't
  1. Helpful
  1. ZARIR KAPADIA
  2. Thursday, 21 April 2022 17:39 PM UTC
PB 2017 builder 1880
  1. Helpful
Miguel Leeuwe Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 21 April 2022 12:44 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 9

Hi,

If you have your TFS Server 'on premises', it works great! However, if your TFS server is "on the cloud", just forget about it. I've tried that a couple of years ago and there's way more errors than the one you encountered. It wasn't usable at all. I think the main reason for that, is that the latest version of TFS on the cloud aren't very compatible with MSSCC, which by the way is no longer updated to later TFS Server versions.

If interested, I can make a list of the versions and programs we installed for the on premises solution that worked very well for us.

regards,

MiguelL

Comment
  1. Thursday, 21 April 2022 12:03 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 10

Hi Ken,

I think it’s reported already.

https://community.appeon.com/index.php/qna/q-a/tfs-check-in-would-prompt-a-parameter-is-not-valid

I will be answering your questions in the next email. Just wanted to share the above information first.

Thanks.

Zarir

Comment
Ken Guo @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 21 April 2022 09:11 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 11

Hi ZARIR,

We haven't received any similar problems before. To find out whether this problem is related to the environment or the project itself, I need to check with you:
1. When did this problem start to happen? Did your previous PB version have this problem? What was the previous PB version you used?
2. Do other machines have this problem too?
3. If you perform the same operation with PB Code Example, will you run into the same problem.
4. If you use TFS tool instead of PB IDE to check in multiple files, does it have this limit?
5. If you right-click on PBT or PBL on the System Tree and select check in instead of checking in on the Library Painter, does it have this problem too?

BTW, since PB 2017, we added support for GIT and SVN source control, relatively speaking, GIT and SVN are more popular and powerful. We are constantly maintaining and enhancing GIT and SVN, while for VSS and TFS, we rarely improve them. Therefore, if possible, I suggest you can consider upgrading to GIT and SVN in the near future.

Regards,
Ken

Comment
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.