1. Shane Maitland
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Friday, 17 September 2021 20:31 PM UTC

Hello,

Evaluating PowerBuilder 2019R3 and notice that when installing the runtime package, it will default to "C:\Program Files (X86)\Appeon...".  We have a corporate policy to not install ANY software onto the system drive.  I am able to specify where to install the IDE and Compiler, however there seems to be no such option for the Runtime package.  Is there a list of switches or options one can provide on the command line to give a different location?

Surprised that Software companies are still forcing software to the system drive.

- - Shane - -

Bruno Herndler Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 17 December 2021 10:26 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Hi,

I am sorry that it appears that I hijacked this thread. My first message was a response to the message of Chris from 17 September 2021 where he wrote "If you run the PB Packager and create an MSI, you should be able to over-ride the install location at start-up!". I was not sure what he meant with "at startup" but I found the idea of indicating the default target installation location when putting together the runtime files very attractive.

When the runtime packager creates the MSI file it must anyway set the default installation location for the runtime files, so why not make it editable.

Moreover, I find the location "C:\Program Files (x86)\Appeon\Common\PowerBuilder\" much more intuitive than "C:\Program Files (x86)\Appeon\PowerBuilder Runtime Packager\" as the latter folder does not actually contain the runtime packager but the PowerBuilder runtime files. I do not know why Appeon has chosen this location, which is different to the location on a developer machine, maybe someone can explain this.

Best regards,

Bruno

Comment
  1. Mark Goldsmith
  2. Friday, 17 December 2021 14:07 PM UTC
No worries Bruno, I could see that happening as Chris' response was about the Runtime packager for deployment versus the install of PowerBuilder itself. I do understand your suggestion of allowing this to be changed upon creating the MSI...and that would be a nice feature...but per Armeen's response adding that feature doesn't seem likely.

If you do try my suggestion of running the MSI via the msiexec approach please let me know if that works for you. Thanks.
  1. Helpful
  1. Bruno Herndler
  2. Friday, 17 December 2021 14:23 PM UTC
The MSI approach is what I am currently doing. I have the command in a batch file but I need to run it manually on each PC where I want the runtime files to be installed. The other MSI files with the actual software can be deployed automatically by my colleagues in our central IT department (I work for a large UN organisation).

1. Helpful
  1. Armeen Mazda @Appeon
  2. Friday, 17 December 2021 16:49 PM UTC
Hi Bruno, I was just teasing about the thread hijacking. It is fault of Chris steer the conversation wrong direction! Hahahahahha
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
  1. Thursday, 16 December 2021 14:20 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

Hi,

My suggestion is the following:

In the Runtime Packager it should be possible to enter the default target installation folder for the PB runtime files:

When the runtime files are installed on a client PC this should be the default location (that can be changed)

Best regards,

Bruno

Comment
  1. Mark Goldsmith
  2. Thursday, 16 December 2021 19:14 PM UTC
Lol, yeah I'd be lying if I said I never did that too.
  1. Helpful
  1. Roland Smith
  2. Thursday, 16 December 2021 21:07 PM UTC
I use InnoSetup which is free and easy to create app installers.
  1. Helpful
  1. Armeen Mazda @Appeon
  2. Thursday, 16 December 2021 21:27 PM UTC
PowerClient is free and easy too, plus more secure. ;-)
  1. Helpful
  1. Tuesday, 14 December 2021 13:32 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 3

Hi,

Maybe I misunderstood the comment of Chris Pollach but I have not found an option for setting the default installation folder when packaging the runtime files using the Powerbuilder runtime packager. Only when installing the MSI file afterwards the target folder can be manually changed.

I find this is very annoying as the default location of the runtime files on a developer machine is a subfolder of C:\Program Files (x86)\Appeon\Common\PowerBuilder\ and the MSI installs them by default into C:\Program Files (x86)\Appeon\PowerBuilder Runtime Packager\ and the .xml file needs to be adjusted.

Best regards,

Bruno

Comment
  1. Bruno Herndler
  2. Thursday, 16 December 2021 10:04 AM UTC
I do not find this comment helpful as I already stated this in my message: "when installing the MSI file afterwards the target folder can be manually changed."

I suggested a possibility to set the default target folder when packaging the runtime files. With that it would be possible to have the MSI file installed automatically.

1. Helpful
  1. Sivaprakash BKR
  2. Thursday, 16 December 2021 13:44 PM UTC
Then at packaging time itself, PB should ask for the destination folder that one wish to install the runtime packager. I think this is a candidate for enhancement request.
  1. Helpful
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Thursday, 16 December 2021 15:18 PM UTC
Yes ... when installing the MSI is where the installer can be changed to specify the installation folder for the PB runtime location (other than the default).
  1. Helpful
Shane Maitland Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Sunday, 19 September 2021 13:40 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 4

Ok, I think my question is being misunderstood.

In order to evaluate 2019R3LTS, I need to download and install.  In order to download the install package (IDE, Compiler and Runtime) I first need to download (and run) the powerbuilder_bootstapper.exe.

Firstly, I don't get the option where to install the bootstapper as it just decides to install under 'C:\Program Files (x86)...'.  This can be tolerated as I can do this off a temp VM which overrides our policy on NOT installing onto the C drive.  Once this bootstapper is installed and and running I can choose to create an offline install package of 2019R3 and place this in a defined location.  Once this has been completed I can copy this package to our software UNC path and rollback this VM to remove all traces of the bootstrap code installed on the C drive.

Once the VM is back up and joined to domain, I can copy the 2019R3 install package back to the VM (now on domain) and begin the install.  When installing the IDE and Compiler, I get an option to change the install path HOWEVER when installing the supplied runtime package, there IS NO option to pick a location.

This is not an issue using Powerbuilder's runtime packager to produce a runtime package (which we choose to not install as part of our installation anyhow), this is an issue with the Appeon supplied Runtime package portion of the initial installation produced by the powerbuilder_bootstap.exe.

- - Shane - -

Comment
  1. David Peace (Powersoft)
  2. Wednesday, 15 December 2021 14:58 PM UTC
Hi

Have you looked at the silentinstall.bat that comes with the PB installer. It would appear that there is a command line switch for "dir=pathname".

There is an example:

The following example uses three parameters to silently install

SilentInstall.bat "opt=pb" "dir=D:\Appeon" "log=D:\install.log"

That might help

David
  1. Helpful
Sivaprakash BKR Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Saturday, 18 September 2021 06:04 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 5

Hello,

Here is the option to change the default location.

You can change as per your choice.

Happiness Always
BKR Sivaprakash

Comment
Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 17 September 2021 20:39 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 6

Hi Shane;

If you run the PB Packager and create an MSI, you should be able to over-ride the install location at start-up. Then just make sure that you edit the new XML file (generated by the PB IDE) so that points the App to where the RT is now installed.

Regards ... Chris

Comment
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.