1. Dan Harrel
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Friday, 4 March 2022 17:21 PM UTC

Our large PB windows application is still developed in PB 12.5 but we are now compiling and releasing it with PB 2019 R3 as well.  The PB 2019 R3 Build often (but not always) crashes when deployed under Microsoft RDS.  We have experienced this at 2 customer sites.  At both sites, we eliminated the problem by re-installing a PB 12.5 Build of our application.  

The PB 2109 R3 Build of our application runs fine on workstations, and on Citrix terminal servers.  

At one customer site, the PB 2019 R3 build would run fine when run with Administrator privileges, and crash otherwise.  At the other customer site, Administrator privileges did not seem to be a factor.  At this second customer site, some users could run the PB 2019 R3 Build under RDS just fine, but it would always crash for other users.  We never determined the difference between the cases.  It did not seem to matter what RDS server was hit.  Customer techs also installed all pending Windows updates, and this did not make a difference.  

Here is an Event Log description of the crash:

Faulting application name: MAINTSCP.EXE, version: 12.0.143.5, time stamp: 0x60096249
Faulting module name: PBVM.dll, version: 19.2.0.2670, time stamp: 0x60096385
Exception code: 0xc000041d
Fault offset: 0x000b0870
Faulting process id: 0x33e8
Faulting application start time: 0x01d82fe298f2065c
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\GrandRavine\MaintScape\MAINTSCP.EXE
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\GrandRavine\MaintScape\PBVM.dll
Report Id: 8b08ff31-1e73-42fe-8204-f0ed1f28fbfd
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Anyone else experience this?  Any ideas?  

Thanks!  

Dan.

Bob Scheff Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 7 September 2023 21:23 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

I have tried everyone's suggestions but I am still having this issue.

I'm working with PBE 2019R3 Runtime 19.2.0.2670 - 2779  

Are there anymore suggestions?   I'm getting desperate and ready to pay someone for help.

Thank you.

Comment
  1. Armeen Mazda @Appeon
  2. Thursday, 7 September 2023 21:28 PM UTC
If you can't get it resolved here, you can purchase a premium support ticket: https://www.appeon.com/premium-support.html
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
Dan Harrel Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 11 March 2022 16:37 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

Unfortunately this problem has become more serious for us:

We now have another customer that exhibited this crash using a PB 2019R3 compiled version of our program, but this time the crash occurs when running it published under Citrix.  Up until now, the problem has only been when published using RDS.  Note that we DO have customers successfully running this PB 2019R3 compiled version of our program under Citrix.  

The first thing we tried was the prior suggestion of putting a PB.INI in the program directory with only the following two lines:

[Data Window]

Accessibility=0

This made no difference, even after rebooting.  Again, the Event Log showed a fault in PBVM.DLL.  

Next we reinstalled a PB 12.5 compiled version of our program.  In all cases until now, this worked, but not here and today.  This time the Event Log shows a fault in OLEACC.DLL - which indeed has to do with our suspected "Accessibility".  Please see the attached screen snip.  

The Citrix Server in question runs Windows Server 2016 Datacenter, up to date in terms of patches.  Citrix version is 1912CU3.  

Please note that both the PB 2019R3 and PB 12.5 compiled versions of our program ran natively on the server.  The crash is only when running published under Citrix.  

This problem seems related to case PB Apps crash when Windows magnifier is active (appeon.com), however I don't think Magnifier is active.  Can I disable it completely?  Certainly it looks like "Keyboard focus" and "Text cursor" are off, although the Windows Setting view does not look the same as the case I refer to.  

We sure could use some help on this.  As it stands, our PB Windows application will not run on their new Citrix servers (it does run on their Citrix servers currently in use, which are the same OS version except patch level, and the PB 2019 R3 compiled version no less).

Attachments (1)
Comment
  1. John Fauss
  2. Monday, 14 March 2022 18:29 PM UTC
Glad to hear that Chris was able to point you to a solution, Dan. Would you please mark this issue as resolved? Thanks!
  1. Helpful
  1. Dan Harrel
  2. Monday, 14 March 2022 19:17 PM UTC
With pleasure.
  1. Helpful
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Monday, 14 March 2022 19:42 PM UTC
Hi Dan ... awesome - that is great news! :-)
  1. Helpful
Dan Harrel Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 4 March 2022 18:39 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 3

Thanks for the reply, Armeen.  Would you mind providing a bit more context?  We don't deploy a PB.INI file with our application.  As for our development environment, I can't find this option in our PB 2019R3 "PB.INI" file.  What entry do you suggest we create and where?  

Comment
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Friday, 4 March 2022 20:27 PM UTC
Hi Dan;

For the PB2019R3 IDE ...

1) Open the System Options dialogue

2) Locate "working" PB INI file location in the "General" tab

3) Close the PB IDE

4) Open the IDE's working PB.ini from step#2 in Notepad.

5) Add the Accessibility setting to the appropriate section as outlined by Armeen's link

6) Save the PB.ini from Notepad & then restart the PB IDE.

For the PB2019R3 PB App's ....

1) Create a new PB.ini in Notepad

2) Add the following entries ...

[Data Window]

Accessibility=0

3) Save this "custom" PB.ini & exit notepad.

4) Copy the "custom" PB.ini from step#3 to your PB App's EXE deployment folder

HTH ... Regards ... Chris
  1. Helpful 3
  1. Dan Harrel
  2. Friday, 4 March 2022 20:58 PM UTC
Thanks, Chris. So the bottom line is that my deployed "PB.INI" only needs that one configuration entry. Got it!
  1. Helpful
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Friday, 4 March 2022 21:08 PM UTC
Correct
  1. Helpful
Armeen Mazda @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 4 March 2022 17:41 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 4

Did you try disabling accessibility in PB.INI?

Comment
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.