1. Aron Cox
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Wednesday, 16 June 2021 09:12 AM UTC

So just built our largest application in PowerBuilder 2019 R3 Build 2703 from PowerBuilder 2017 R2 Build 1769 and the tab headers appear to be larger than they used to be, so things no longer line up correctly.

Am I just making it up? Is this a known issue? Is there anything I can do other than resizing everything? This application has a lot of tab controls.

I did a compare of the two windows and nothing has changed, they just look diferent now.

Miguel Leeuwe Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 16 June 2021 12:22 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

We haven't had this problem when changing from 2017 to 2019.

I do know that there's been some kind of a fix (=change) on tab page labels to make them have "correct" pictures (if used). I can't remember exactly what it was, but the width would all be the same if I remember well.

So I'm afraid I cannot help you out much here.

Could you post 2 images that mark the difference so people would understand exactly what you mean?

Also, are you using DPI scaling in your windows display settings? Lots of laptops use 125% which causes problems.

regards

Comment
  1. Aron Cox
  2. Wednesday, 16 June 2021 13:17 PM UTC
Yeah I splashed out on a big screen, let me try a more regular sized one..... same issue on my 1920 x 1200 resolution, and I forgot to say I asked the other devs in my office to replicate this and they all had the same problem. The only thing we have in common, screen-wise, is we're all using remote desktop to our work PCs.

If I have to manually fix this there are hundreds of windows to check and perhaps a hundred to change :-(
  1. Helpful
  1. Miguel Leeuwe
  2. Wednesday, 16 June 2021 13:23 PM UTC
Me too I'm on remote, but using Splashtop.

Could you create a small sample app in which the problem is present? If so, I'll try to run it on our system and see if I can reproduce it.
  1. Helpful
  1. Aron Cox
  2. Wednesday, 16 June 2021 13:28 PM UTC
Good idea, let me see.... thanks.
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
Aron Cox Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 16 June 2021 12:54 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

Attached three images.

There is one called PB2017 - this is how the window looked in the painter, it does not change when the application is run. The datawindow is in the desired location for the tab control.

PB2019 - same window, compared source, no changes, checked X and Y coords, all the same but now it looks like the datawindow is too high up on the tab control (in fct I think the tab headers are now taller), still looks this way when the application is run.

Third image shows both images loaded and zoomed in paint, if I got it right it looks like the 2017 tab header was 4 and a bit paint squares high, the new one is 5.

I checked two other windows in the application, they have the same issue. All thats' been done is open a 2017 workspace in 2019 and do a full recompile.

Any thoughts are wlecome!

Attachments (3)
Comment
  1. Miguel Leeuwe
  2. Wednesday, 16 June 2021 13:03 PM UTC
Wow, that's pretty bad!
  1. Helpful
  1. Aron Cox
  2. Wednesday, 16 June 2021 13:13 PM UTC
Yeah, it looks equally bad in the painter and when running. Weird. So far any tab controls with lots of tabs appear to have thi sissue, and a diff of the source shows nothing has chanhed in the window definition.
  1. Helpful
  1. Wednesday, 16 June 2021 13:06 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 3

So, does it look like that bad in the 2019 IDE also, or only when running the application?

It doesn't happen to me, being on 2019 R3 - 2703.

Could you check your properties on the tab control? Maybe one of them has accidentally changed, as you know when using the mouse wheel on the properties that can easily happen.

These are my settings:

Comment
  1. Wednesday, 16 June 2021 13:56 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 4

Attached are a sample application in PowerBuilder 2017 and the converted to PowerBuilder 2018 version. If you look carefully you can see the tab control in 2019 now ends below the yellow box. It's not a huge a difference as it was with my original application, but hopefully it proves something is going on.

So far I suspect the tab header is a different size in 2019 than 2017.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks!

Attachments (2)
Comment
  1. Wednesday, 16 June 2021 13:59 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 5

Meanwhile I've made a small sample application in PB2017 R3, so you can also try on your side if my sample reproduces the same problem after migrating to PB2019.

See attached.

Attachments (1)
Comment
  1. Wednesday, 16 June 2021 14:11 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 6

Ok, I didn't realise you had 'multi line' selected for your tabcontrol.

So I've made it multiline in my initial sample app, and then migrated it to 2019.

It looks ok to me.

You have to do a "File > New > Untitled for Sheet 1" by the way. The tab is on the first sheet window.

I've attached the modified app and already migrated to 2019.

Attachments (1)
Comment
  1. Miguel Leeuwe
  2. Wednesday, 16 June 2021 14:58 PM UTC
I finally see what you mean:

The yellow dw is exactly at the correct height, but indeed, in pb2017 it aligns perfectly with the tabpage, but in 2019 the tabpage starts a little bit lower.

I'll attach a small video, so we can send link this post to support when creating a support ticket.

regards
  1. Helpful
  1. Aron Cox
  2. Wednesday, 16 June 2021 15:03 PM UTC
Great thank you so much for your help! Let me know if you need anything more from me. Glad to know I wasn't hallucinating.
  1. Helpful
  1. Miguel Leeuwe
  2. Wednesday, 16 June 2021 15:30 PM UTC
YW, it's good to know for myself too, we have lots of tabs, but luckily they all have only one line with the labels.
  1. Helpful
  1. Wednesday, 16 June 2021 15:35 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 7

Here's a link to a little video I made to show the problem after migration to PB 2019:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eQswp0wT_I0rYDKZZvuQsNpwTTGNY6gt/view?usp=sharing

I've made a ticket: https://www.appeon.com/standardsupport/track/view?id=6798

regards.

Comment
Christopher Craft Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 16 June 2021 21:37 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 8

They are bigger - I noticed that when we upgraded too but the way we use the tab control everything just realigned the same way.

FWIW - When we use tabs we place the tab control then cut (RMB Option) the user object.  We then insert our user object which has all the controls (ie. DataWindows).  We have never placed a DataWindow directly on a tab.  Maybe that is the 'bug'?

Chris Craft

Comment
  1. Miguel Leeuwe
  2. Wednesday, 16 June 2021 22:33 PM UTC
Hi Chris,

I see where you're coming from, but the "bug" is just that when Appeon fixed something, they must have accidentialy increased the vertical height of the labels on a tabpage. We (where I work), don't show controls on-top of a tabpage which aren't part of the tabpage itself, but we do have some controls below the tabpage which are on the same window as the tab control.

The whole problem is that there's an unjustified increase of height with the tab page labels.

Personally I've got a product manager who'll cry about a single pixel, so this could be a problem. In Aron's case the difference is MUCH worse than a single pixel and there's hundreds of objects he'd have to correct because of this difference between versions. (Personally I DO agree that showing controls on top of a tab without forming part of the tab control is not the best solution).

regards
  1. Helpful
  1. Aron Cox
  2. Thursday, 17 June 2021 06:53 AM UTC
Yeah, as with many PowerBuilder applications it's very old and has evolved over time into what it is now. I suspect originally there was an ancestor window with a single datawindow that handled all the validation, saving, printing, etc, and then some larger tables were added so someone came up with the idea of adding tabs to control the exisiting datawindow's view but not change all the existing validation and save mechanisms.
  1. Helpful
  1. Miguel Leeuwe
  2. Thursday, 17 June 2021 08:45 AM UTC
This is the latest update on the reported bug:

"

Hi Miguel & Aron,

We have reported it to the PB development team to further analysis and will let you know once there are any updates.

Regards,

Baron

"

So that's good news, but it'll take time.

If your tabs are inherited from some ancestor object, you could consider trying to adjust heights and y positions from code. At least you wouldn't have to modify all of them.

regards
  1. Helpful
Ken Guo @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Monday, 30 August 2021 10:09 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 9
Hi Aron,

Good news that PowerBuilder 2019 R3 MR (build 2728) is available for download. The issue you reported has been fixed in this release. Please download and install it to verify the issue you reported and let us know if any problems. You can get the installer from our Downloads portal at https://account.appeon.com/download/2019 (login required). 
We welcome all feedback from you!

Regards,
Ken
Comment
  1. Tuesday, 31 August 2021 14:21 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 10

I can confirm 2019 R3 Build 2728 fixes this, thanks :-)

Comment
  1. Ken Guo @Appeon
  2. Wednesday, 1 September 2021 05:03 AM UTC
Thanks for the update!
  1. Helpful
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.