1. Thomas Rolseth
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Tuesday, 22 September 2020 23:03 PM UTC

I recently migrated a client application to PB 2019 R2.  When I run the new exe for the application it starts, opens, connects to the database and then suddenly closes with no error message.  This happens on a Windows 10 machine.  It runs fine from the PB IDE.  It also runs fine from a different VDI machine that doesn't have Symantec and other services running.

The existing application was built with PB12 and is installed on each user workstation via Software Center.  That application works normally after installation.

What types of windows and/or network services and processes could be causing this application to suddenly close?  I debugged the issue and it halts when it tries to open a non-visible window that has about 5 or 6 datawindows which are instantiated and then used as datastores.  Again, no error it just halts at that line of code.  This happens after the database connection is made and after other logic is executed.

I played around with the Security tab in the project object and tried using an embedded and external manifest but that had no effect.  Could it be that this new exe of the application is being blocked by DLP software?  If so, how could I determine that?  Things are locked down on this machine so I can't disable much due to lack of permissions.

Thanks, Tom

Accepted Answer
Thomas Rolseth Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Monday, 10 May 2021 13:45 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # Permalink

We ended up calling a batch file in the application shortcut.  The batch file then launches the application.  This roundabout approach resolved the issue.

Tom

Comment
  1. Armeen Mazda @Appeon
  2. Monday, 10 May 2021 14:31 PM UTC
Thanks for sharing the solution!
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
Thomas Rolseth Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Tuesday, 22 September 2020 23:04 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Also, if I run the exe as administrator or launch it from inside a command prompt it works fine.  But that is not an option for deployment or the end user doing UAT testing.

Comment
  1. Thomas Rolseth
  2. Wednesday, 23 September 2020 12:28 PM UTC
I tried the bat file approach earlier and that does indeed work - sorry I didn't mention it in my post. However, because the app gets packaged up in the client's Software Center using the bat file approach isn't viable for deployment.

When I did a compatibility check on the exe, it switched it over to Windows 8 and that worked during the test it performs as part of the check. However, the next time you run it it still closes suddenly w/o any error.
  1. Helpful
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Wednesday, 23 September 2020 14:59 PM UTC
For the W8 compatibility mode to stay, you might have to permanently set that in a "short cut".

Since Admin, comparability, batch, etc App EXE modes work to launch the PB App .. its sounds to me like the problem is environmental. Say a policy, AV, AD, etc software getting in the way. Just a guess.
  1. Helpful
  1. Miller Rhodes
  2. Wednesday, 23 September 2020 17:31 PM UTC
One thing that is interesting. I am having this exact same problem. At one customer, we have been on Windows 10 for awhile but then this started happening and we are running R1. Fortunately, the EXE runs on a Windows Server 2016 box and it runs fine there with no enhancements. I have another customer that we are running R2 build 2353 and it runs fine on Windows Server 2019. Even on my Windows 10 Pro VDI, the EXE runs fine.
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.