1. Sabir Foux
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Sunday, 23 December 2018 09:03 AM UTC

Hello everyone,

I'm a C# developer who has been looking towards the next release of PB for awhile now. I just have two questions.

According to this page at the bottom PB's planned release date is Q2 2019 :https://www.appeon.com/developers/roadmap

Is that true or is it still going live on the 31st in all its glory?

Will the videos on PB fundamentals in Appeon U become outdated after the 31st and if so will they be updated to include the exciting new changes coming to the platform?

Thank you,

Accepted Answer
Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Sunday, 23 December 2018 17:38 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # Permalink

Hi Sabir;

There will be no PB2018 release this month. Appeon management has decided to rename the product PB2019 and go through two rounds of beta before heading to the GA version in Q2, 2019.

The first round of the PB2019 beta will start in January, 2019 and will be available to all Elevate 2018 conference attendees and current Appeon customers that use PB2017 today. A second Beta will then follow suite after the 1st beta is completed. The 1st beta will be focused on Standard Edition features and the 2nd beta the Cloud Edition features (which will be the C# improvements).

The current PB Fundamentals course covers the native App side of PowerBuilder which is not changing or going away. The C# features will just be new extensions to the current IDE features adding new Targets, such as: Console, C# Assembly and C# Web API to the current list of targets. That being said, the native C++ based features are the focus of the current course. I would agree that the current course needs a face lift to: include the newer IDE look & feel (same for the workshops), address the newer features added in 2017R2/R3 and the new "Themes" feature coming in PB2019.

I think that a new course might need to be added to address the new C# Fundamentals aspects of PB2019 as another learning thread. At this point, I have no further information on whether this will be addressed as a separate course or a series of self-study videos. 

Stay tuned to the Appeon website for more information as the new PB2019 product plan is rolled out.

HTH

Regards .... Chris

Comment
  1. Sabir Foux
  2. Sunday, 23 December 2018 22:14 PM UTC
Thank you for your in-depth answer Chris. It's much appreciated.
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.

There are replies in this question but you are not allowed to view the replies from this question.