1. Vipin Dwivedi
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Wednesday, 9 February 2022 18:04 PM UTC

PB Appeon Team,

Our company is holding PB2017 R3 Standard edition license for all PB developers. Now we are looking for more licenses for new developers. What we came to know from Appeon portal that standard versions are no longer for new license and they are offering Professional edition. Is this true? If Yes, then there will be mix of both version (Standard and Professional) where some people will work in standard version and new developers will work in Professional version and check in the same PB object what others are doing with Standard version. So my question is

Is this going to impact Project?

Is this going to impact the PB objects?

What if the Executables are build in Standard Version as final product for Production?

Do you see any other impact as I haven't gone through release bulletin of Professional version?

We are also not thinking to change existing license to professional version.

Please answer as soon as possible. We will take action according to your answer.

Thanks,

Vipin

Accepted Answer
Armeen Mazda @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 9 February 2022 18:33 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # Permalink

Hi Vipin,

Yes, Standard Edition is no longer offered, but of course if you already have licenses you can keep renewing and using.  

The additional features you get in Professional Edition are:

1. PowerClient - https://www.appeon.com/products/power-client

2. .NET DataStore - https://www.appeon.com/products/dotnet-datastore

If you are not going to use these two features above, then no problem to mix and match.  It will not impact your source control, build process, etc.

However, if you do want to use any of these Edition-specific features, then you should plan to upgrade all your licenses to Professional Edition.

Best regards,
Armeen

Comment
  1. Armeen Mazda @Appeon
  2. Wednesday, 9 February 2022 20:37 PM UTC
Companies discontinue editions all the time... I don't see we are doing something abnormal. Also, the price difference is not huge, and hopefully in future you will at least use some of the new features. For example, PowerClient is much more convenient, less error prone, and more secure way to deploy your client/server apps compared to way you do it today. If your organization has many PowerBuilder licenses, I would suggest you contact our sales dept. sales@appeon.com to see if you are eligible for any discounts.
  1. Helpful
  1. Armeen Mazda @Appeon
  2. Wednesday, 9 February 2022 20:58 PM UTC
Also, keep in mind that we are better than most companies that we have general policy to grandfather renewals. Most SaaS or even other subscriptions... the price just keeps going up and up and up. Netflix subscribers and Amazon Prime members will know what I'm talk about. ;-)
  1. Helpful 1
  1. Vipin Dwivedi
  2. Wednesday, 9 February 2022 21:29 PM UTC
HA HA HA... Got you...
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
Vipin Dwivedi Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 9 February 2022 18:40 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Thank you, Armeen. This is helpful.

Comment
  1. Armeen Mazda @Appeon
  2. Wednesday, 9 February 2022 20:52 PM UTC
You're very welcome.
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.